Having Another Baby. Gender Reveal Party Anybody???

Lounge By kimmypooh79 Updated 5 Feb 2010 , 11:58pm by funcakes

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 6:59am
post #1 of 18

I recently found out that I am expecting my second child. I was trying to think of a fun way to reveal the sex of the baby to my loved ones and I thought about this gender reveal party so I googled it. There are some people that have really negative attitudes about it and say that they are pointless, it's obnoxious, that the mom just wants attention, but I could care less about getting attention. I just thought it would be fun like a mystery party. Why are people so down on the idea? It doesn't cost the party goer anything. I mean really...what's the big deal? Opinions?

It just really pi$$ed me off reading some of the things people were saying about this mother that wanted to have this party. Maybe it's my hormones but not likely. This is the address for the comments if anybody is curious enough.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090615143514AAWzc51

17 replies
MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 12:32pm
post #2 of 18

IMO who cares what they think? If this is a way you want to celebrate the miracle of your child then do it.

Personally, I think it's a fun way of finding out. No numerous phone calls to make to all the people to announce the news and a unique reason to have a party

If it's something you want to do and are feeling up to it--go for it!

Have fun and congratulations!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 2:25pm
post #3 of 18

Okay, reading the question in the link, I think there is something more to that persons feelings than just the idea of the party. I read it as she doesn't really like the SIL and doesn't care. Of course that is just me.

If you want to do this, then do this. You can always run it by a few family members and see how they feel. It's all up to you.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 5:04pm
post #4 of 18

I say if it's just your "loved ones" and those that REALLY want to know then go for it. If it were my relative that I cared for I'd have lots of fun and enjoy it. If it were "just a friend" and not "my best friend" I wouldn't enjoy it and would feel pressued to go not to hurt their feelings.

Unfortunately it's not always about no cost to the invitees, it's that we all have things we need/want to be doing for ourselves and our families (sad but true) and giving up a time for something that doesn't affect/interest us isn't fun.

Have your party and have fun!

Ashlynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashlynn Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 5:15pm
post #5 of 18

I went to a reveal party about six months ago and I thought it was such a cute idea. The couple had the doctor put the results of the ultrasound in an envelope so they couldnt see them and they had someone bake a cake for them. They had them make either a pink or blue colored cake to represent the sex of the baby. So when they cut into the cake at the shower and saw that it was pink everyone found out it was a girl... just a cute idea.

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 11:05pm
post #6 of 18

im uggghhhh on it - personally i dont think a party is warranted for someone to announce the gender of their child and i believe its attention seeking and borish. yes its fabulous, you are having a baby and thats exciting but not exciting for me to dress up, buy a gift, show up at a party and wait around like some sort of bizare suprise party so we can all ohh and ahhhh over a ultrasound pic - seriously, i have better things to do with my time

BUT if you want to do it and your friends and family are there to enjoy and celebrate this with you then go for it - who cares what people like me think, im not invited anyway

congrats on your baby

mrspriss0912 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrspriss0912 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 12:57am
post #7 of 18

I say go for it, sounds like fun and loved ones will enjoy it too . have fun and congrats

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 2:47pm
post #8 of 18

I think this would be a nice alternative to babyshower for a second baby. It invites people to be a part of your new child's life. I would only invite close friends and family and personally would just ask for their company not gifts or anything.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 5:30pm
post #9 of 18

The person who wrote the original question in that post either has never had a baby, has ten and is over getting excited about it, or hates the SIL for whatever reason. If you want to have a party have people over for dinner and announce it. I guarantee that the grandparents WILL be excited, so if you get flack from other family members just limit it to your parents. If you don't make it into a gift grab, nobody should have a problem with it (unless they're just the type who hates when they're not the one in the spotlight, and that's their problem, not yours.)

I had a bride whose wedding cake I did call and ask me to do a variation on this in a couple of months. She's going to have an ultrasound to find out the gender, but she's not going to find out what it is. The doctor is going to call me to tell me, and I'm going to make them a pink or blue cake (with the color inside) for a baby party they're going to have. That way the couple will find out when everyone else does, which will be when they cut the cake. If it was me, I'd be digging into the icing to see what color it was, I wouldn't be able to wait.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 12:34am
post #10 of 18

I think it would be something cute to do at the baby shower. However, if it was only a party to find out the sex of the child, give me a call and tell me. This would be something I would go to because I was expected to, not because I really wanted to go. I love hearing about everything my friends are going through when they are pregnant. I have to be honest though I'm always kind of bummed when they find out what they are having. Kind of takes all the fun and surprise out of it when they are born. That's just me though.
I do think it's a cute idea for a baby shower though and something that would be different.

I'll give you a hint though to try to sway you to the side of not finding out the gender early icon_razz.gif I didn't find out the gender with my oldest and at the baby shower I received all the items I needed. I'm talking crib, mattress, bibs, lotions, cute outfits that could go for either sex, the baby tub, swing, sling .....etc. Every single baby shower I go to that knows the sex of the baby gets mainly clothes and then they have to return some of them and still buy some of the items they need. icon_razz.gif

More importantly though than anything else: Congrats on being pregnant and I hope your pregnancy goes well. Congrats!

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 4:06am
post #11 of 18

I'm 100% with Mrs-A on this.

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 5:20am
post #12 of 18

Well thanks to ALL for the well wishes.

Thanks to those of you who don't think I'm just seeking attention. Personally I don't like being in big groups of people or being the center of attention because it makes me uncomfortable. I requested that my baptism be private to avoid being on display. BUT I like to do things in unconventional ways which is why I thought of this. It would be nice to tell everyone all at once instead of having to make the numerous phone calls trying to sound as excited on number 50 as I was on number 1. I don't know what I'm going to do yet. Thanks again for All your input.

And FYI you don't bring a gift to the reveal party.

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 5:25am
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmypooh79

......And FYI you don't bring a gift to the reveal party.

heheheh... my family is italian - you invite me over, oh i AM bringing something with me, whether it be food, booze, gift or flowers. i was raised never to show up empty handed icon_smile.gif

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 10:02pm
post #14 of 18

Kimmypooh, when I first read about the reveal party I thought "yuck", unless it was my sibling I might not be super interested...but it is a cute idea, if you do it, I would write "no gifts please" on the invite unless you would like otherwise, most people do not know about these reveal parties they may assume they should bring a gift

Congratulations!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 10:14pm
post #15 of 18

Here's one thing to consider...if I'm reading it right then you wouldn't know the gender until you opened the envelope either. Sometimes the doctor can't tell at the first ultrasound. What happens if you plan the party, invite everyone, go to the ultrasound and then the doctor says that she can't tell what the gender is?

Other than that, the idea is cute if you're bored and want to have a party. I wouldn't go unless it was for one of my sisters but then I'm not a party person. Also, if you're having a shower and/or a baptism party then I think a gender reveal party would be excessive.

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 3:39am
post #16 of 18

I think reveal cakes are a great idea!

Since it's your second child maybe one of your family members will throw you a "sprinkle" (mini baby shower). Or I guess you could throw one for yourself!

I just read about those online because one of my coworkers is having a baby girl. A sprinkle is for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc baby.

I love baby showers, though, and I think the reveal (esp. if the mom doesn't even know!) is a really cute idea!

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 8:22pm
post #17 of 18

Is it possible just to invite people over for a dinner party and not label it a "reveal" party? You could then incorporate your fun surprise into the dessert. That way you have your closet friends/family with you and no one felt obligated to attend or obligated to bring you a generic baby gift.

I do love baby sprinkles for after the first child! Every baby should be celebrated some way. thumbs_up.gif

I also agree with the poster who said it's best to have a shower where the sex isn't known to avoid being bombarded with tons of clothes and not much else! (if it's your first baby and you need EVERYTHING! )

Have fun with whatever direction you decide to go!

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 11:58pm
post #18 of 18

I really like the idea of inviting people over for dinner and just serving the cake as a surprise. This will make you feel more comfortable if you, like myself, HATE to be the center of attention. I was actually a little surprised that you liked the idea of the party knowing it would be ALL about you and you don't feel comfortable about that.

Many cultures favor one sex over the other and are trying to get away from that, so a "gender reveal" party may rub them the wrong way. I did not read the article, but you must know that people have very different views for legitimate reasons, and accept that.

For myself, I just can't get all that excited over the sex of the baby to be. Girl, fabulous: Boy, great-I really can't find a reason to actually care, I love all the little infants, and now that I am older, I get to hold them first when they visit!

I guess there are differences in different parts of the country, I also can't imagine calling 50 people to inform them of the sex of the fetus. Don't your family and friends gossip??? LOL- just tell 2 or 3 and everyone knows!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%