How Do I Get A Nice Domed Cupcake?!

Baking By cakes4all Updated 6 Feb 2010 , 1:01am by ayerim979

cakes4all Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes4all Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 5:12am
post #1 of 16

I've tried all different recipes. I thought I had found one today, but they flattened out after I took them out of the oven. I am going to try and attach a picture of what I want mine to look like. I love these, but I'm thinking they look more like a muffin then a cupcake, but they are calling it a cupcake on the site I got this pic from(obviously, it has frosting on it).

How do I get that?!

Ok, it's not letting me attach anything.

15 replies
cakes4all Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 5:31am
post #2 of 16

Maybe this time the pic will work...
LL

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 5:57am
post #3 of 16

I am not totally sure, but I have read that the temperature is the key. I bake my cakes at a lower temp, but I bake my cupcakes at 350 so they aren't so flat. Hope this helps!

CakesGoneSweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesGoneSweet Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 6:26am
post #4 of 16

I have not tried it but on the Cake Journal blog she has a tutorial on this exact subject. I keep saying I am going to try it but forget to the next time I get to baking. Here is the link: http://www.cakejournal.com/archives/cupcake-decorating-part-2

It shows a change in the way you mix the ingredients together makes a difference. Let me know if you try it out!

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 8:16am
post #5 of 16

I believe you pre-heat your oven at 400 put the cupcakes in and after 5 min lower temp. to 350 .

Dam Im giving advice without double checking. BRBOkay here is the threat :

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-603740-.html

you lower the temp right after you put cupcake in NOT 5 min after.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 9:52am
post #6 of 16

I prefer my cuppies only gently domed, but if I want that high-dome look for any reason (usually un-iced plain fruit and nutty cuppies) I make them a thick batter like a muffin. Also - I agree witht he higher temp info above icon_smile.gif

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 5:56pm
post #7 of 16

I believe that is the infor I heard. Higher temp and then lower to 350. Worth a try!

enchantedcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enchantedcreations Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 6:03pm
post #8 of 16

Hi, I bake mine at a higher temp then lower them after 5 mins., I'm sorry I don't have a picture to show you, but they do dome. I bake all of them that way. I start them @ 375 and then drop them to 325. HTH.

enchantedcreations Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 6:05pm
post #9 of 16

Ho, one more thing, I start the oven @ 400, then after it's good and hot I drop it to 375.

cakes4all Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 3:00am
post #10 of 16

Ok, I tried the higher oven temp to start, then drop it when they go in...nope. They flatten right out after they come out of the oven. I am so frusterated! I even tried a thicker batter too. I want to achieve that BIG dome. I just don't get it.

Really disappointed right now....

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 7:06pm
post #11 of 16

Well... I know if my cakes flatten after removing from the oven, it means they aren't completely done.
Could it be the same for your cupcakes?

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 10:51pm
post #12 of 16

One other thing I thought of too...check whether your baking powder is still active. If its too old it won't rise your cakes properly. Um, I know this is probably not the issue, but thought I'd put it out there!

All the best!

enchantedcreations Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 11:15pm
post #13 of 16

I also add Wilton's meringue powder to the batter; about 1 tablespoon

cakes4all Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 12:05am
post #14 of 16

If I leave them in any longer, they brown, I've tried that too.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 12:35am
post #15 of 16

Ya know this is weird but last night i was thinking, what happened to the domed cupcakes that my mom made, and i used to make, mine come out flat too, and i think it's because i'm older they sure look smaller lol. i wish i could find a medium pan, some where in between or large like a muffin but where would you find the papers, any help also it alway's say fill 3/4 but i fill mine to almost the top thanks all

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 1:01am
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninatat

Ya know this is weird but last night i was thinking, what happened to the domed cupcakes that my mom made, and i used to make, mine come out flat too, and i think it's because i'm older they sure look smaller lol. i wish i could find a medium pan, some where in between or large like a muffin but where would you find the papers, any help also it alway's say fill 3/4 but i fill mine to almost the top thanks all

Hey girl I made that mistake once and they all spilled icon_cry.gif
have you been using the same recipe?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%