Calling On All Ya'll For Ideas And Inspiration!!

Decorating By Donnabugg Updated 9 Feb 2010 , 2:19am by Donnabugg

Donnabugg Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 3:47am
post #1 of 12

Okay fellow CC'ers I'm thinking about entering a (amateur) cake contest at an upcoming festival. I'm a newbie so I'm asking for any and all ideas. I've attached a link to the festival so you can get an idea of theme and such. A few things I can think of would be to do some sort of plaque with the logo on it. There's also a "belle" court so I was thinking of doing maybe 3 or 4 belle dresses out of gumpaste. Maybe a "Miss Azalea" sash and most importantly figure out how to make azaleas. What do you think? Thanks ahead of time for your input! icon_wink.gif

11 replies
prterrell Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 3:49am
post #2 of 12

What about doing one of the historic homes in Wilmington?

Donnabugg Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 3:49am
post #3 of 12

JanJess Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:12am
post #4 of 12

What about making a "parade float" with flowers and a couple of "belles" sitting on the float with the logo on the sides or front and back HTH

mabryant0212 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:12am
post #5 of 12

I am not good enough to enter something like this but I did a cake a while back of a babydoll in a pound cake and sculpted a dress around it. you could do something like that and do the southern belle dresses.... I will attach a picture. I would use a doll form without the head so the dress gets all the attention.

JustToEatCake Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:45am
post #6 of 12

Hey bug are you old enough to remember the "June Inn" at Carolina Beach? It's the big old house at the main intersection where the rides/arcade area is. The one with two big palmetto palms out front? I think it's a restaurant now. That was my aunts house. I grew up there in the summers. She ran sort of a bed and breakfast but back then they called it a rooming house. It has big wrap around porch with rockers. Boy the days I have spent sitting in the rockers watching the beach goers, running up and down the back stairs, sitting her victorian parlor in my bathing suite. Playing on those steps..hey I didn't see the info on the cake contest, is it on their website?

Donnabugg Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 12:59am
post #7 of 12

I like all of your ideas! Thanks to all of you!

I hadn't even thought about bringing the historic homes into it. Although I must admit that may be beyond my capabilities...but I like it so much perhaps I can think of some way to incorporate it.

JustToEatCake-I didn't grow up in this area so I don't know but I've been to Carolina Beach a lot. What great memories you must have...straight out of a novel huh

Cake Challege info....

Tellis12 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 11:20am
post #8 of 12

the dresses idea is cool. What if instead of doing actual figures you made the dresses and had them laying on the cake.

Donnabugg Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 1:44am
post #9 of 12

Tellis, I was thinking the same thing. Maybe a few dresses and a sash as well. They have an "Azalea Queen" that rides on the float during the parade.
I need to get started practicing making the azalea flowers as I've not had much experience in flowers. Thought I'd do a dry run...a test cake you might that normal? lol I'll be sure to post pictures when the cake is done icon_smile.gif

dsilbern Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 2:02am
post #10 of 12

I'm working on learning different techniques and I will usually do a test cake to work out the how to's and practice. Also to see how things look in real life before I commit them to the final product.

I send the tests to work with the hubby or bring into the kitchen at my work. My employees and my hubby's co-workers never seem to mind being test subjects! icon_biggrin.gif

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 3:08pm
post #11 of 12

I love the dress cake idea... I did a pageant dress last week.... What about doing the dress with the sash and logo! I think it would be a show stopper!

Donnabugg Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 2:19am
post #12 of 12

Loving all these ideas! Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%