Shop Owners-How Many People A Day?

Business By sweetartbakery Updated 1 Feb 2010 , 1:29pm by sweetartbakery

sweetartbakery Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 3:01am
post #1 of 4

Well, I decided to re-do my business plan afterall and go for a storefront. I have most of the other info that can stay the same, but I need to fill in a section for project sales per day (number not so much amount of money). there isn't another bakery anywhere close and the township people don't seem to be much help. I was wondering if any of you are small town based and would mind sharing. I just need a general idea...10 people or 10 dozen kind of thing. My financial part covers the typical projected purchase.
ugh, this part is such a pain! gotta get it right though!

3 replies
YoCake Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 5:48am
post #2 of 4

I don't know if this is much help, but my shop used to be located in a really small town that was actually on the poor side. I did not get a lot of locals coming in for walk-in business, but brides and grooms, and people wanting something unique would drive in from the surrounding communities to put in a cake order. I think I may have sold 3 dozen cupcakes a day during the week, and 5 or 6 dozen on the weekends there, but I usually took in about 300 dollars a day in cake orders, and of course on Saturdays it ranged from 700-1000 dollars. It highly depends on the income level of the small town. I am sure that a richer suburb would help a small cake shop thrive better than I did in the poor town. Last year, I moved my shop to a highly commercial location, and my 3 dozen a day turned to 15 dozen a day average, and my sales increased to anywhere between 800 to 2000 a day. Believe me, that amount gets eaten up in my overhead faster than you can say "frosting", but it does make a considerable difference. I hope I helped! Best of luck with your endeavor....get your zzz's in now!!

Stumptowncakes Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 9:41am
post #3 of 4

I would underproject vs over so you don't get yourself in a jam trying to meet quotas.

sweetartbakery Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 1:29pm
post #4 of 4

YoCake- that helped a lot. I had no idea really and since there isn't a bakery, none of the locals can project possible income... I plan to pay the bills with big specialty cakes from surrounding areas, but i will have a small store front/coffee shop too. That is the part that is killing me. I am going to use your figures loosely because it is a low income area. I know a few bakers in suburbs in other states, but that simply doesn't apply.

i picked the area because it's SO cheap, and the next big town is 15 mins (which doesn't have a bakery, that I can find), it's just hole with no development.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%