Need Suggestions On Frosting

Decorating By sunsational Updated 1 Feb 2010 , 7:24pm by PJ37

sunsational Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunsational Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 11:30pm
post #1 of 6

I have to make a birthday cake for 2 guys (yes going to be 2 cakes) I have freedom on the cakes, what I come up with since a valentine theme:

Chocolate fudge cake with fresh strawberry filling and going to put chocolate covered strawberries on the top.

It the frosting Im coming up blank with I was think a chocolate butter cream, then next thought was chocolate whipped cream, Then thought doing a chocolate ganache, then I thought maybe too much chocolate maybe a cream cheese frosting would be better.

I appreciate your thoughts! Thanks!

5 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 11:46pm
post #2 of 6

As a woman, I'm not sure it's possible to have "too much chocolate." But I understand what you're saying. icon_lol.gif

Since your filling is fresh strawberries, I think pairing it with a stabilized whipped cream frosting topped with chocolate covered strawberries would be a slice of heaven on a plate.

(Even stabilized chocolate whipping cream frosting would be toothsome and it wouldn't necessarily have to have an intensely chocolate flavor.)

HTH

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 12:15am
post #3 of 6

Whipped cream and cr ch are very hard to work with for decorating.....unless it is stabilized or you use Frostin Pride or similar product (non-dairy). Even then those taste the best if the cake is iced that day......not served the next day or thereafter.
I'd Probably use a light (flavored & colored) choco b'cream

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 12:43am
post #4 of 6

Perhaps, since she's making two cakes...

One could be very simply frosted using a stabilized whipped cream frosting, and fresh sliced strawberry filling in a heart shape topped with chocolate covered strawberries. (Since the fresh strawberries are also best eaten ASAP. And to circumvent any weeping issues, I'd probably put down a very thin layer of b/c.)

And the second cake could be more decorative using a b/c frosting and cooked frozen strawberry filling (which would be shelf stable for a couple days rather than fresh sliced strawberries which would require constant refrigeration) in a heart shape. (The chocolate covered strawberries could be made & addeded shortly before serving because they also are best eaten ASAP.)

Here's a popular (adaptable) CC fruit filling recipe:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/4143/Raspberry-Puree-Filling

HTH

sunsational Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunsational Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 2:46am
post #5 of 6

I making that day and that night it is the party. Because for a guy Decided to keep it simple with chocolate covered strawberries rather then flowers, ect.

PJ37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ37 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 7:24pm
post #6 of 6

All the suggestions sound yummy...my mouth is watering being the chocoholic that I am...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%