Little House On The Prairie

Decorating By pinksugarmama Updated 1 Feb 2010 , 4:21pm by SecretAgentCakeBaker

pinksugarmama Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 11:13pm
post #1 of 13

I have a request for a little house on the prairie cake. Not a lg cake like a 9'' round. I have a few ideas but this one is hard to think of things that will fit on the cake. Any suggestions will help.

12 replies
Mensch Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 11:17pm
post #2 of 13

When I think of LHOTP I think automatically of the books, which I read over and over as a kid.

Calico fabric!

auntmamie Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 11:30pm
post #3 of 13

PinkSugarMama - I always go back to the prairie.....how about a log cabin? Depending on your supplies and timeline, you could make this out of chocolate, or pretzels or breadsticks - Snyders of Hanover makes a great line. A plow or wagon out front, lots of prairie grass, Indian beads, Jack (the dog). Like mensch said, calico fabric. I would die making this cake, it would be so fun!

Did you customer specify which LHOTP she wanted? Many fans will agree that the books and the TV series were in serious discord in details, and your customer might be thinking of a different one than you are. I am speaking from the book community.

Mensch - ooh la la - I love your avatar!

Mensch Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 11:34pm
post #4 of 13

Dude! Henry Rollins! Sexiest man alive, even today at age 49!

sugarplumfairycanada Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 11:34pm
post #5 of 13

Hi,

I too am going to suggest the house. It's so recognizable because of its shape. Depending on wants and budget you could add Laura sitting on fence, a wagon, etc. Would love to see pictures once done.

Mensch Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 11:36pm
post #6 of 13

LHOTP they had a soddy, in LHITBW they had a log cabin.

Mensch Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 11:44pm
post #7 of 13

Ah, never mind, they lived in a soddy in OTBOPC

sweettoothmom1 Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 11:49pm
post #8 of 13

i think of the covered waggon in a prairie as in the scene of the closing credits on the show. definately.

ljdills Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 11:57pm
post #9 of 13

I think of her running through the field. I think painting the field on the sides of the cake with the cabin on top would be beautiful.

pinksugarmama Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 12:53am
post #10 of 13

Great ideas ladies, I was wanting log cabin and a covered wagon but it might look crowded all on top, then I thought maybe a cut out horse and wagon on the sides. I like the field grass on the side. I was thinking Laura and Jack on top. What colour base fondant?

julzs71 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 1:34am
post #11 of 13

I just went to the Ingalles farm this summer in South Dakota. Loved it! The Wilders farm is by Malone, NY where my MIL lives.
I love the show. I read all the books, but I'm old so I can't remember them. But I think if you do it based off the show. A field of grains with ox and pull around the base of the cake. On top a farm house and wagon.
Good Luck. I'm jealous. I would love to make this.

Donnabugg Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:02am
post #12 of 13

I think of Laura carrying her metal pail to school..maybe that with the little chalkboard they used, an apple. Maybe their smocks and bonnets. Laura's braids. Definitely like the wagon idea. Hope any of these ideas help. Good luck and please be sure to post your finished product icon_smile.gif

Just a little side note..one of the actors from the TV series is a customer of mine icon_smile.gif

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:21pm
post #13 of 13

Last year I made a cake for my daughter's Little House on the Prairie book club. Here's the link t my cake, and below that is the link to the thread I posted.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1385029⊂=1385031

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-615521.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%