Red Velvet Cake Mix In Canada

Decorating By Bfisher2 Updated 22 Feb 2010 , 10:12pm by Mrs-A

Bfisher2 Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 9:05pm
post #1 of 16

Does anyone in canada know if you can buy red velvet cake mixes in canada yet?

15 replies
-Tubbs Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 10:59pm
post #2 of 16

I've never seen it in any stores in Calgary.

Kiddiekakes Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 11:12pm
post #3 of 16

Same as Tubbs...Not in Canada yet..Although someone mentioned they did see them but I don't know where...My Mom brings me them from the states when she goes away for a few months!!

sugarplumfairycanada Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 11:25pm
post #4 of 16

Hi,
The only time I have seen them was before Christmas at a store called MTF - Price Matters. The store is like XS Cargo or Liquidation World. It was a pilsbury brand. I didn't buy it but I bought some other flavours. HTH.

MORSELSBYMARK Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 11:27pm
post #5 of 16

I haven't seen it here and stock up everytime I go to the US. I have made Cake Man Raven's recipe and it is really good!

costumeczar Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 1:03am
post #6 of 16

Just an FYI, red velvet mix doesn't taste the same as a scratch red velvet. The buttermilk makes the difference, and the powdered buttermilk just doesn't work the same way. I just did a red velvet experiment that I wrote about on my blog, so I've had red velvet on the brain for the last week or so icon_smile.gif

PuffCake Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 1:33am
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Just an FYI, red velvet mix doesn't taste the same as a scratch red velvet. The buttermilk makes the difference, and the powdered buttermilk just doesn't work the same way. I just did a red velvet experiment that I wrote about on my blog, so I've had red velvet on the brain for the last week or so icon_smile.gif

Would it work to substitue buttermilk for the water called for in the cake mix? Never tried it...just wondering if it would help?

motherofgrace Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 1:33am
post #8 of 16

no I dont think we have it here, this is the one i use if you are looking for a doctored one!

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7461/easy-red-velvet

HTH!

costumeczar Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 12:47pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffCake

Quote:

Would it work to substitue buttermilk for the water called for in the cake mix? Never tried it...just wondering if it would help?

I don't use mixes, so I honestly don't know, sorry. It's just my experience that people say the mixes don't taste like anything (and when I've had to eat a red velvet mix I have to agree). Since buttermilk and vinegar are the two "strange" ingredients in it, you won't get the same flavor as you will with a scratch cake unless you use those, so maybe adding those to the mix would help. Personally, I'd just keep making it from scratch.

Bfisher2 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 5:40am
post #10 of 16

Thanks you guys.... appreciate it....you know, if I were to bring cake mixes over the border, I would be the one in the breaking news story about terrorist plot foiled...*LOL*

I will try the recipe that was sent.... thank you very much... appreciate it... icon_biggrin.gif

kickasscakes Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 6:02am
post #11 of 16

I have tried a home made cake recipe, and everyone in the house hated it!
I then bought DH brand (I think) from the US and tried it. We all loved it. I live about 10 min from the border and go regularly down there.... Last few times I have been though, I cannot find iticon_sad.gif Not at Walmart, Fred Meyer, IGA, Target, no where! Can anyone suggest where I might find it, in the States? I certainly don't think they sell it here, in Canada....

chocolatefan Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 6:24am
post #12 of 16

Try Walmart in Bellingham - that's usually where I pick up my Red Velvet cake mix.

kickasscakes Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 6:27am
post #13 of 16

I have before, this last time, checked in Bellingham, so I blitzed the other places this time.... Thanks for the tip, maybe they were just out of stock when I was there.

costumeczar Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 2:17pm
post #14 of 16

I was in the store today so I looked at the box of red velvet ingredients for the mix cakes. There's nothing in it thtat remotely resembles a real red velvet cake recipe, it's pretty much just a white cake mix with red food coloring and some artificial flavors. There was no powdered buttermilk listed in it at all, so that kind of surprised me.

ISatinxSheetsI Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 10:07pm
post #15 of 16

I tried looking for it (at Loblaws and Food Basics) just last week but couldn't find it. I could have sworn I'd seen it before (maybe Sobeys??) but I was pressed for time so I grabbed a white cake mix and added stuff to it.

I added buttermilk, chocolate jello pudding mix and of course the red colour and it tasted wonderful, if I may say so myself.

Mrs-A Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 10:12pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:

Just an FYI, red velvet mix doesn't taste the same as a scratch red velvet......

i agree - a few days ago i made 2 RV cakes from scratch (1 died so became cake balls) and one DH RV cake mix

the scratch mix, i found the flavour a blend of chocolate and vanilla/butter and really liked it and was very surprised by the flavor, but in a good way. the cake mix tasted more chocolatey in flavor and after trying the scratch i was really disappointed - i felt like it was a choc cake with red colouring

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%