Super Mario Bros Copyright

Decorating By needy2 Updated 2 Feb 2010 , 1:01pm by Superbecky79

needy2 Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 8:42pm
post #1 of 7

So I have someone who has asked for a Mario Bros themed bday cake. I have tried contacting Nintendo, but haven't gotten a response.

I have seen SO MANY mario cakes, so now I am wondering. Does anyone know if Nintendo is OK with this, or if they are as bad as disney?

6 replies
prterrell Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 8:47pm
post #2 of 7

icon_confused.gif Doesn't matter how small the chance is that the copyright owner will find out, it is illegal, so don't do it. Just because someone else broke the law and got away with it doesn't mean you should. Also, there are a lot of hobby bakers on here.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 9:03pm
post #3 of 7

But so many people steal candy and whatnot from stores. Does that mean it's okay for me to do it?

Nope. Call me silly, but I will not risk copyright infringement. The consequences are not worth it. Even if I never get caught, I"m still going to know I did something wrong.

needy2 Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 9:44pm
post #4 of 7

Oh, I wasn't thinking about breaking the law, I just wanted to know if anyone had contacted Nintendo to find out their thoughts on the subject.

I have contacted a few copyright holders, and some are OK with cake form of their art, others are not.

Superbecky79 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 5:49pm
post #5 of 7

So does copyright laws only apply to those who sell cakes? Or can a mother who makes a Disney cake for their kid get sued too?

glendaleAZ Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 4:03am
post #6 of 7

From what I understand, if you give the cake away it's okay, but you can not sell the cake for profit.

Superbecky79 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 1:01pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you, glendaleAZ!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%