Anyone Interested In Posting Prices With Their Pics?

Decorating By nhbaker Updated 2 Feb 2010 , 12:28am by Donnabugg

nhbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nhbaker Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 36

I know this could get ugly but since pricing is always such a delimma, I was wondering if anyone would go for the idea of adding the price you charged into the description when you post a picture of your cakes. It would be completely optional - those not interested, don't do have to do it.

This probably has less bearing on wedding cakes as most people charge per serving but more on the occasional cakes. I know when I see some of the cakes on here (ok, most of them!) I'm always curious as to what the person charged for them.

How does anyone feel about this idea?

35 replies
sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 8:37pm
post #2 of 36

I would be interested to see as well. I understand basic cake pricing, but when it comes to some of the elaborate sculpted cakes and highly detailed specialty cakes I've seen, I've also been curious as to what was charged.

I would love for Duff to share that information on the cakes we see on his show!
It may even cut down on all the "how much would you charge" threads..

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 36

I think that would help to eliminate all those "how much should I charge for this?" threads that seem to bother so many veterans on this site.

Lelka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lelka Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 36

And I on another hand do not think it would help much due to large geographical difficulties. Prices in NY and in OR would differ a bit. So technically I cant charge same price as a person living in Michigan. And thats Independent even from the skill level. There is no other way to get a fair price but calculate it yourself. Nobody else can tell you how much to charge for your creations. I know calculating a fair price takes time, but you have to do it to be fair to yourself as well as fellows decorators.

The_Lil_Cakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 9:08pm
post #5 of 36

Hopefully everyone would be respectful icon_smile.gif Sounds like a cool Idea to me.

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 9:24pm
post #6 of 36

I dont think people are going to go for it, I think its going to get a lil crazy because people are going to eventually not use it as a HELPFUL thing but rather be using info , for other purposes.

Example: Wow did you see that (bla bla cakes) charges so much for that cake? Dam shes expensive.
OR
Or someone can say something like "look my cake is way nicer and cheaper than (la la cakes) and I bake from scratch"

I mean may be dum but thats just my opinion. Im not saying its not a good idea but I really don't think its gonna work out.

I MAY BE WRONG !!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 9:28pm
post #7 of 36

Yeah, I vote for not actually going to be helpful. Cost of living (and thus price of cake) is going to be so widely variable. And then you have all the CC members who live in other countries. Are we going to nominate one nation's currency as the "official CC currency" and have everyone convert? Might as well post how many strips of gold-pressed latinum a cake would be. icon_biggrin.gif

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 11:01pm
post #8 of 36

I wouldn't mind out of sheer curiosity, not as a guideline for pricing my cake. I am pretty much a hobby baker for friends and family only anyway.

You gotta admit, we all would love to see Duff tell us what the cakes cost on his show....It would have nothing to do with what anybody else charges. And if it's strictly voluntary, why not?

The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 12:21am
post #9 of 36

Yeah, I was looking more at it out of curiosity, but the other points are valid, I could see it being abused unfortunately :/

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 1:22am
post #10 of 36

I think thats a brilliant idea. I also hope *fingers crossed* somewhere in the near future people who are purchasing cakes figure out the basic costs so that I don't have to deal with "sticker shock" anymore. I hate when someone wants to buy a cake from you, but get disheartened when they find out they can't afford it. Even if you've cut all the extra's.
So maybe if prices of cakes becomes more public knowledge to them and for us we can all embrace the cost icon_biggrin.gif LOLOL

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 1:27am
post #11 of 36

I think it is a good idea, just post it in your own currency. I think it is helpful and would cut down on all those posts that start "what would you charge"

silverc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silverc Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 1:40am
post #12 of 36

I love the idea.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 1:46am
post #13 of 36

I think it's a good idea too. Cake prices are going to vary from state to state and city to city. They are also going to vary from beginner to famous cake artist - but I think it's still good to look and see. If nothing else, it will help people know what a cake could cost.

There are so many people who under price and who have to read things off the wall to remind themselves that they won't negotiate their prices. I think it would be good for people who are in that mind frame right now.

Just my 2 cents.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 2:04am
post #14 of 36

Yeah... I'm thinking this will be a no-go. There's too much to consider.

You know if you call CCC they will give you a quote on a cake. Just takes the gumption to make that call. icon_wink.gif

RetiredNavyChief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RetiredNavyChief Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 2:50am
post #15 of 36

I dont mind putting what i charge on my cakes. most are done for family for no charge anyway. I have sold quite a few, i did start having a minimum charge for occasion cakes and then add per difficulty and decorations. I also charge per serving for wedding cakes and the have additional prices from there. I did read in a article once that Duff's charge starts at $1000.00 minimum for his cakes.

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 3:02am
post #16 of 36

Yes, and cake from CCC is a minimum of $1,000, as stated on their website. I think this is a cool idea, but I don't think it will fly, and agree that the information would most likely be abused. icon_sad.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 3:09am
post #17 of 36

Nope. Daggum...Please, don't anyone take this like I'm being hateful either. It started out everyone sharing the cakes they made...it was inspirational for others to see. Then, it got to be..."why don't those who share their pictures, put the description on it?" Then, "why don't they put how they did it in their description? It'd save everyone from having to ask." Now, it's the price for it too? Nah.

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 3:24am
post #18 of 36

I think it's a good idea. If everyone would just agree to be honest about what they charged (of course we'd never really know now would we?!) and agree not to make any comments about what someone has charged. It's a fact, read it and move on. Surely people realize that there are varying skill levels, regions of the country and so on. There are going to be huge variations, but at least we would have something to go on and it would put an end to many of the pricing questions. Those who price WAY too low would maybe see that they need the confidence to charge more. I like the idea. It's a little scary, but I can see benefits.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 3:32am
post #19 of 36

I honestly don't think it would put an end to the pricing questions.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 3:36am
post #20 of 36

I think it's a good idea, I know it's amazing what one can get and the other can't. I say the more you can get the better. I know for a fact I'm under paid but I'm in a depressed state where jobs went over seas. The factories are gone here.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 3:36am
post #21 of 36

You have to think too that some clients don't want it plastered over the internet what they spent on their cakes. Confidentiality and all.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 3:42am
post #22 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelka

And I on another hand do not think it would help much due to large geographical difficulties. Prices in NY and in OR would differ a bit. So technically I cant charge same price as a person living in Michigan. And thats Independent even from the skill level. There is no other way to get a fair price but calculate it yourself. Nobody else can tell you how much to charge for your creations. I know calculating a fair price takes time, but you have to do it to be fair to yourself as well as fellows decorators.

I wish there was an applaud emoticon.....THIS is exactly why the "pricing threads" are silly. thumbs_up.gif

A number of us send clients to this site for inspiration/ideas....I really don't want someone coming back to me with a pic of a gorgeous cake that the artist sold for $1 per serving (YES THEY EXIST HERE). I don't want to get into explaining why some people give their cakes away and I don't. thumbsdown.gif

I vote for no prices please.

JanJess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanJess Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 3:49am
post #23 of 36

I just wish all the cake shows would have to say what they would charge so the general public watching would have a clue how much their expertise can cost icon_eek.gif

The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:01am
post #24 of 36

A number of us send clients to this site for inspiration/ideas....I really don't want someone coming back to me with a pic of a gorgeous cake that the artist sold for $1 per serving (YES THEY EXIST HERE). I don't want to get into explaining why some people give their cakes away and I don't. thumbsdown.gif

I vote for no prices please.[/quote]

I didn't even think of this! Good thing there are more experienced people out there!!! I change my vote....I don't want anyone thinking the price they see means that's what I'll do it for...unless of course it was WAAAY more..haha jk

Donnabugg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnabugg Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:24am
post #25 of 36

I don't think there should be "an end to the price question". Said it before and I'll say it again...it's as simple as DON'T click the link, don't post a reply, don't read the question...move on..JMO icon_wink.gif

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:31am
post #26 of 36

I don't sell cakes usually, I could show ones that I have done for free, which doesn't help much. I sure wouldn't have problems with it though. We are all friends here, and if you don't want to, don't respond.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:51am
post #27 of 36

I don't think it is a good idea. It isn't going to stop the pricing questions and what someone charges for their cake in NY is going to be higher than I would charge here in AR. I enjoy seeing everyone's work, I really don't care how much money they made that just isn't important to me.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 5:30am
post #28 of 36

If I want to know 'bout what a cake cost, it ain't that hard to find a website that sells cakes/wedding cakes/whatever cakes that also lists their price for 'em...and probably near enough to one in the gallery (heck, it might even be THE one in the gallery). Like askin' for fish at the pizza diner...want fish? go where fish is served...

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 6:13am
post #29 of 36

Most people who charge for cakes have websites where they detail their pricing structure. So if you want to know what someone charges for their cakes, look at their website.
No need to put it here as well.

partysafe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
partysafe Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 12:40pm
post #30 of 36

I'm such a curious person about everything so I vote YES, it's optional so what the heck. Would be fun for us novices just learning about all the costs and labor that goes into cakes. Reminds me of when I took a quilt making class and quickly learned why they cost so much, verrrry labor intensive. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%