How Do I Get Royal Icing Lillies Off Foil?

Decorating By langranny Updated 1 Feb 2010 , 7:26pm by TexasSugar

langranny Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 7:55pm
post #1 of 9

I've been practicing RI Easter lillies and they look nice in the foil. However, after they are dry and I try to take them off, they just stick to the foil and come apart. I've tried dusting the cup with cornstarch, but that doesn't help. HELP!!!

8 replies
mandymakescakes Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 8:26pm
post #2 of 9

Are you using candy foils or regular "kitchen" foil? I haven't had any problems with candy foils & RI flowers (smooth the foil really, really well into the flower nail), but I did run into trouble with regular kitchen foil and poured sugar. It's not quite the same, but I think it's the gauge of the foil, not the decorating medium that's the problem. Hopefully this helps. icon_rolleyes.gif

Jeff_Arnett Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by langranny

I've been practicing RI Easter lillies and they look nice in the foil. However, after they are dry and I try to take them off, they just stick to the foil and come apart. I've tried dusting the cup with cornstarch, but that doesn't help. HELP!!!

After you press the foil into the lily nail, VERY LIGHTLY grease the inside with vegetable shortening....it won't hurt the icing. Once dry, they will release easily.

tesso Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 8:33pm
post #4 of 9

are you letting them dry completely? Also, in the past I have popped mine in the freezer for about 5 min. then off they come sweet as can be.

DianeLM Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 10:33pm
post #5 of 9

I use Reynolds No-stick foil. It peels right off.

Kiddiekakes Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 10:57pm
post #6 of 9

Ditto to Jeff Arnett...this is how I was taught at the wilton course and they came off just fine!!

langranny Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 11:13pm
post #7 of 9

I'll give these a shot. Thanks for the info.

cakefort Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 5:31pm
post #8 of 9

Why not make them on parchment paper instead of foil?

TexasSugar Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 7:26pm
post #9 of 9

I use the sandwich wraps for my flowers.

Make sure they are completely dried. The bottom will take longer since it is in the foil and doesn't get air to it. I'd give these atleast 2 or 3 days before removing.

When you start to remove them I kinda hold the foil by the edges and pull slowly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%