Ice Cream Cone Cupcake Help...please

Baking By umgrzfn Updated 14 Feb 2010 , 10:10pm by nicoles0419

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 8

Ok, I am going to make ice cream cone cupcakes for my dd's valentine party. I have never done this and really need some help. First of all, do you literally bake the cupcakes in the cones? If so, what temp, how long and how full do you make them. Does it make them soggy??

I also have seen where there is a lrg cupcake inverted on the icecream cone, then a small cupcake inverted and placed ontop of the lrg cupcake, then iced to make a swirl like effect. Has anyone done this?

Also, has anyone ever tried doing pudding in icecream cones? I found a recipe in a book in which you make the pudding, let it set up, put it in a piping bag and fill the icecream cones.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

7 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 6:09pm
post #2 of 8

I think on the side of the Joy cake cones there is actually a recipe which tells you how full to fill the cones to bake and all that! (As a matter of fact I think they sell a special pan but you don't need one...) It doesn't make them soggy.

I'm not sure about the pudding but you'd probably want to do that right before the party.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 7:23pm
post #3 of 8

Yes, you literally bake the cupcake batter in the cones and it doesn't make the cones soggy. Make sure they are the pale, flat bottomed cones, not the pointy sugar cones. icon_biggrin.gif

mandymakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandymakescakes Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 8

It was precisely these cupcakes that got me interested in sweets as a kid, I think. My mom made them for one of my own school b'day parties when I was 7 or 8... I remember them being awesome! Thanks for the bit of nostalgia!

prterrell is right, use Cake Cones and a I agree with Kitagrl that a regular cupcake pan will work fine. You could use those pie beans/beads to stabilize the cones in the cupcake pan if you want to, but I don't think it'll be necessary. Maybe try using Sugar or Waffle Cones for the pudding... they're a little more sturdy. icon_biggrin.gif

annegirlca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annegirlca Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 7:56pm
post #5 of 8

The cupcake cones were a childhood favorite of mine! Make sure when you fill them with the batter that you bake them right away. I made them into torches for an Olympic Theme party for my class and I had them sit out for 10 minutes while I was doing something else and baked them. While baking, they started oozing out the sides. They will get soggy if you don't bake them right away. icon_smile.gif Bethany

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 5:42pm
post #6 of 8

Awesome information!! Thank you everyone!

Sherry1030 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherry1030 Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 9:38pm
post #7 of 8

I made these the other day - I stood the cones in a mini muffin pan and they didn't topple. - I was paranoid they would all fall over when I put them in the oven.. I made a choc mix from scratch and used a yellow box mix. The box mix rose considerably higher than the scratch - next time will only fill half-way. I baked them at 350 for about 25 minutes and the scratch ones were well done, the mix ones were a little 'less' done.

nicoles0419 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles0419 Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 10:10pm
post #8 of 8

now I wanna try making them, they sound good..... man I hate being pregnant and reading about yummy cake :p

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%