Ganache Over Whipped Cream

Decorating By AngelaM Updated 12 Mar 2010 , 2:31am by 3LittleBeesCookies

AngelaM Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 3:29pm
post #1 of 8

Ok so this may be a silly question, but how is it that you can pour warm ganache to drizzle over whipped cream without the whipped cream melting? Do I need to freeze the cake first or does it just magically not melt? Just seems to me like it would melt, but I've seen people do it successfully.

Also, how far in advance can I make the cake covered in whipped cream with a filling of whipped cream and sliced strawberries? Can I make this an entire day in advance or do I run the risk of the cake getting soggy from the fruit filling?

7 replies
AngelaM Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 7:06pm
post #2 of 8

bump

3LittleBeesCookies Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 8:13pm
post #3 of 8

Hi, Angela M! When I top chocolate cupcakes w/homemade whipped cream, I always drizzle the cream with chocolate ganache. It kind of reminds me of a delicious, hot fudge sundae. I have found it helpful to wait a few minutes for the ganache to cool before drizzling and then serve/eat immediately. Whipped cream--at least the recipe I use--tastes best the day that it is made, so I would say fill and frost your cake the day you plan to use it.

However, another decorator told me about a commerical whipped cream product that doesn't require refrigeration and cakes frosted with it can be left a room temp. and made in advance. It's called Rich's Bettercreme--http://www.richs.com/product_info.cfm?catid=6159.

Hope this helps.

prterrell Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 9:36pm
post #4 of 8

When I worked at the grocery store bakery, we made ice cream cakes iced in whipped topping (not bettercream, this actualy had milk and cream in it, too and had to be refrigerated) and topped with melted chocolate. We'd freeze the cakes first and then pour the chocolate on.

3LittleBeesCookies Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 2:56pm
post #5 of 8

The bettercreme has milk in it? I was told that once it's put on the cake, it does not need refrigeration and can be at room temp. for several days. Their website even states the bettercreme is non-diary. Now, I am confused. icon_redface.gif

JustToEatCake Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 3:29pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LittleBeesCookies

The bettercreme has milk in it? I was told that once it's put on the cake, it does not need refrigeration and can be at room temp. for several days. Their website even states the bettercreme is non-diary. Now, I am confused. icon_redface.gif

You misunderstood, she said "NOT" bettercreme that the one she used "HAD" milk in it, so it wasn't bettercreme at all.

3LittleBeesCookies Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 3:49pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks, justtoeatcakes. I missed that the first time that I read it. I need to slow down. icon_biggrin.gif

3LittleBeesCookies Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 2:31am
post #8 of 8

Angela M, I hope you got your answer since u never came back!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%