My Cakes Have Waists....help!

Decorating By debbiew1 Updated 3 Feb 2010 , 9:22pm by tiggy2

debbiew1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbiew1 Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 5:15am
post #1 of 8

Just wondering if anyone else has this problem? My cakes seem to shrink around the middle (look like they have waists). Any ideas as to why this is happening?

7 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 6:13am
post #2 of 8

Is this before or after they are assembled and iced? Could you post some pics?

debbiew1 Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 6:51am
post #3 of 8

No, it happens after they have cooled and i take them out of the tins. Then i have to trim or fill the waists so the sides look nice and straight. I should have taken some photos, but the cake is finished now. It's just annoying and time consuming to fix, and i am curious as to what i am doing wrong.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 7:07am
post #4 of 8

I usually use baking wraps around my pans and that helps.... but some of my different flavors do it still... chocolate most of the time.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 7:41am
post #5 of 8

It could be your pans. Cheaper pans have flared sides so that they can be stacked inside each other. I had some that were 8" at the bottom and 9" at the top...needless to say, they didn't make straight cakes.

YoCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YoCake Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 5:09am
post #6 of 8

It sounds like the cake may be underbaking. I've had that happen. Double check your baking time, temperature, and perhaps try to put a greased flower nail in the middle of your pan. That could help.

debbiew1 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 9:51am
post #7 of 8

Ok, thanks very much for everyones help. My tins are the good stainless ones with straight sides, so i don't think that's the problem, maybe i am underbaking them, they are very moist cakes and seem to be fine, but maybe the flowernail would be worth trying, will give that a go next time. Thanks again for taking the time to try and help icon_smile.gif have a great week everyone.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 9:22pm
post #8 of 8

I have Wilton pans and they do the same thing. My Magic Line Pans don't do that as their sides are completely straight.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%