Is There A Trick To This Fondant On Fondant Technique?

Decorating By DesignerWoman Updated 31 Jan 2010 , 6:13pm by DesignerWoman

DesignerWoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignerWoman Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 4:05am
post #1 of 5

Hello, I was asked by a bride to make a cake similar to the one in the photo. To me it looks like fondant on fondant and you cut out shapes in the second fondant layer. However, I have a few questions:

How is this technique done exactly?
How does the first layer of fondant not get damaged?
Do you need to do anything special to make the two fondant layers stick?

Thank you in advance,
DesignerWoman
LL
LL

4 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 4:07am
post #2 of 5

Are you sure it's fondant on fondant? I think it could be fondant over butter cream with cutouts.

I think double layers of fondant would be overkill....thick and heavy.

jayne1873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayne1873 Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 10:00am
post #3 of 5

You could cover the cakes in the first layer of fondant and allow it to dry off for a day or so.
Wet the cake with water using a pastry brush but just a small amount just even to slightly wet the cake, this would then allow the top layer of fondant to stick to the bottom layer then carefully cut out the shapes. This should then leave the bottom layer of fondant showing through.
I have never done it but I would give it a go on a small test piece and see.
hth

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 10:52am
post #4 of 5

Yeah, i think fondant on fondant would be over kill, Unless you were able to roll the first layer soooooo thin. i would do a test piece first, perhaps with a very thin rolled piece of gumaste or fondant and see how it goes, That way you may be able to cover just the section that is going to be showing up, rather than the entire cake.

DesignerWoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignerWoman Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 6:13pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you, I'll try a couple of different ways. I'll let you know which one works best icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%