Cricut Cake In Action

Decorating By Jeff_Arnett Updated 3 Feb 2010 , 1:21am by brooklyncaillouet

Jeff_Arnett Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 3:35am
post #1 of 34

There's now a video of the Cricut Cake in action on the Cricut website...just hit the red button toward the bottom of the page.

Notice the yellow transfer gadget for placing the cutout on the cake.

http://www.cricut.com/cricutcake/default.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

33 replies
brooklyncaillouet Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 3:57am
post #2 of 34

Linda McClure is the person who started all of this. She invented the method of cake decorating using the Cricut. She is the one that has the DVD's teaching you how to do this. She taught Carrie Biggers how to use the Cricut. Be sure to watch the TLC Ultimate Cake Off because at least 3 teams are using the Cricut in their challenges. I met her at CHA in California and she told me she has a new technique that is as exciting as the Cricut is. She will be showing this new technique at the Austin cake show at the end of Feb. Anytime I have a question she is willing to help me and I really appreciate that.

LadyKinster Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 3:58am
post #3 of 34

Thanks for putting that up Jeff. I investigated further with the cutting mats. Looks like they're only making the 12X12 and 12X24. Stinks for me, I've got the original Cricut, 6X12... wonder if I'd be able to cut down the new mats? hhhmmmm.....

Jeff_Arnett Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 3:59am
post #4 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyncaillouet

Linda McClure is the person who started all of this. She invented the method of cake decorating using the Cricut. She is the one that has the DVD's teaching you how to do this. She taught Carrie Biggers how to use the Cricut. Be sure to watch the TLC Ultimate Cake Off because at least 3 teams are using the Cricut in their challenges. I met her at CHA in California and she told me she has a new technique that is as exciting as the Cricut is. She will be showing this new technique at the Austin cake show at the end of Feb. Anytime I have a question she is willing to help me and I really appreciate that.

I wonder if those of us who already have the Cricut Expression will be able to adapt our to use the Cricut mats and blades. I'd hate to have to buy a new machine.

tiggy2 Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 4:11am
post #5 of 34

Yes you can use the cricut expression with the mats and I'm guessing the blade housings are also interchangeable. If not you can get a deep cout housing and blade for the expression that works great for gumpaste or fondant with tylose added.

tiggy2 Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 4:13am
post #6 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKinster

Thanks for putting that up Jeff. I investigated further with the cutting mats. Looks like they're only making the 12X12 and 12X24. Stinks for me, I've got the original Cricut, 6X12... wonder if I'd be able to cut down the new mats? hhhmmmm.....

You can remove the "sticky" from the mats you have and they work just fine.

peg818 Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 12:45pm
post #7 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKinster

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to cut the mats down. I have with the larger expressions, cause our walmarts doesn't carry the 6x12 mats, the only thing i did figure out is that you cant cut them lengthwise (cause they will be slightly too small) you have to cut across the center then they will work perfectly.

ibmoser Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 2:17pm
post #8 of 34

That yellow transfer device looks to me to be part of a sheet of craft foam. Nicholas Lodge sometimes uses the sheets of foam to transfer delicate decorations to the sides of his cakes (like the Patchwork lattice and thin lace cutouts).

tiggy2 Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 3:26pm
post #9 of 34

Someone stated in another thread that it is indead a piece of craft foam.

anricat Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 4:55pm
post #10 of 34

I wonder how much it's going to be. As a side note, I always pronounced it "cry - cut" in my head. Ha!

tiggy2 Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 5:06pm
post #11 of 34

The cricut cake is $400. I'll just keep using my expression

blessedist Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 5:24pm
post #12 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by anricat

I wonder how much it's going to be. As a side note, I always pronounced it "cry - cut" in my head. Ha!

Me too!! even though, I know it's cricut, I just can't get the cry-cut out icon_smile.gif

umgrzfn Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 5:44pm
post #13 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

A-men!! It's exactly the same...ok so it's red....ANNNND???? For those of us that have the expressions, it works great! Why buy a new 400.00 machine when the expressions was that much. They are banking on the fact that you can't buy the Cake Basics cartridge by itself...it comes in a bundle with the Cake Cricut. I'm sorry, but a cartridge is not worth 400.00 (for those of us that already have the expressions anyway). Everything else is the same..the deep blade housing...the matts (all you need to do is remove the sticky stuff from it entirely and there you go), the cartridge is the same as all the other ones as far as compatibility. I don't know...I guess with this economy....I'll stick with my expressions!!!! Remember, at some point, the cartridge will be available thru websites such as Ebay. Also, the cartridges that are for weddings and such have some beautiful designs as well!!!!!!

CakesGoneSweet Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 5:52pm
post #14 of 34

I wonder if Linda McClure is getting any credit for this new Cricut? Since she developed the method and now they are coming out with a Cake version of the Cricut you would think that something should come back to Linda

davespeg Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 6:01pm
post #15 of 34

I did get all excited when I saw the Cricut for Cake, however at $400, will I be able to use it for paper etc. I know it sounds dumb, but I didn't pay attention the the Cricut until I logged onto this website a few months ago.
I'm strictly a hobbiest so this is a big investment for me.

FromScratch Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 6:04pm
post #16 of 34

My thought is if you have used your Cricut for paper you shouldn't use it for cakes, but if it has only been used for cakes there's no reason to get a new get up. I mean yes... if you want to be a real stickler, then you should get a new machine since the Expression isn't technically made for use with consumables, but unless there is a real danger (like chemicals or lubricants can get on your GP or something like that) then I don't see a problem using the Expression.

I am going to ge the Cricut Cake, but only because I don't already have an Expression. I figure the cartridge is worth the little bit extra over the cost of an expression. icon_smile.gif

makeminepink Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 7:08pm
post #17 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedist

Quote:
Originally Posted by anricat

Me too!! even though, I know it's cricut, I just can't get the cry-cut out icon_smile.gif

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one--only I actually said it to someone who laughed!

tiggy2 Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 8:08pm
post #18 of 34

Linda has worked with them on getting the cricut cake machine and is on several of their videos. So I'm sure she is getting credit.

newmansmom2004 Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 8:29pm
post #19 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyncaillouet

Any idea if Linda's new technique in Austin will be a workshop or class? I looked on their itinerary and didn't see her listed anywhere. I'd love to see what she's unveiling.

Jeff_Arnett Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 8:30pm
post #20 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratch

My thought is if you have used your Cricut for paper you shouldn't use it for cakes, but if it has only been used for cakes there's no reason to get a new get up. I mean yes... if you want to be a real stickler, then you should get a new machine since the Expression isn't technically made for use with consumables, but unless there is a real danger (like chemicals or lubricants can get on your GP or something like that) then I don't see a problem using the Expression.

I am going to ge the Cricut Cake, but only because I don't already have an Expression. I figure the cartridge is worth the little bit extra over the cost of an expression. icon_smile.gif

Several people have said not to use it to cut both paper and fondant/GP....but what's the difference in that and using computer paper to smooth icing? Paper is paper and you don't know what it has been exposed to. I see no real issue here, but I know some will.

tiggy2 Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 8:34pm
post #21 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Arnett

Quote:

Several people have said not to use it to cut both paper and fondant/GP....but what's the difference in that and using computer paper to smooth icing? Paper is paper and you don't know what it has been exposed to. I see no real issue here, but I know some will.

My feelings exactly thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif I use a different mat and blade for fondant/gumpaste so nothing that touches the paper is touching that.

newmansmom2004 Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 9:41pm
post #22 of 34
Quote:

Quote:

I wonder if the real reason behind that is that the paper will dull the blade quicker than gumpaste will??? Just a thought.

dljc Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 10:07pm
post #23 of 34
Quote:

but what's the difference in that and using computer paper to smooth icing? Paper is paper and you don't know what it has been exposed to. I see no real issue here, but I know some will.

I think that is the reason for not using computer paper. You don't know what chemicals or bleach it has been exposed to to make it so white. Is it really food safe?

FromScratch Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 10:09pm
post #24 of 34

Yes.. but computer paper isn't "food safe" either... I don't use it to smooth my icing. There is bound to be a build up of paper fuzz inside the machine. This is just my personal thought on it, but I wouldn't be too keen on knowing that a machine used to cut scrapbook projects was being used on a cake I was going to eat. I'm sure the heath department wouldn't be too keen on it either. Hence the reason for making the new machine. I can understand using a modified Expression just for cakes, but not for both. To each their own I suppose.

lorilori Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 10:26pm
post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

I was thinking the same thing. The only thing I can think, though, is that even the Expression retails on their site for $349.99, but I paid under $200 for mine new. Even now I could buy one (the Expression, that is) at several local retailers for under $300 on any given day. Maybe we'll see better prices in place once the newness wears off and the retailers get a chance to offer some sale prices. I'm just a hobbyist, but I like the idea of a dedicated food machine rather than putting food where my glittered paper and other items have been. I just don't like it $400 worth! Here's hoping icon_smile.gif

glendaleAZ Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 10:42pm
post #26 of 34

Im so happy that I waited to purchase this machine. Now, I can get the one made for cakes. I like the idea that you can use the old cartridges with the new machine.

Does anyone know if it comes with a food coloring ink cartridge? I tried to watch the video, but it kept stalling on me.

By the way, Linda McClure is in the demo video (from the link on the first page), but it doesnt mention (at least the part that I saw) how she spear-headed this process.

JustToEatCake Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 11:00pm
post #27 of 34

You drink out of paper cups and eat off paper plates that have been chemically treated with bleach and such. It's not a problem to use it for both....seriously. You could chew up a paper cup or a sheet of printer paper and it will go right through you and not poison you at all.

FromScratch Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 11:11pm
post #28 of 34

I'm thinking of it from a store front perspective... the HD would be all over you for doing that. So it's not for me. To each their own as I said. I don't have to worry about it since I'm not a scrapbooker. I also did state that it was just my own perspective. You don't need to justify your decision to me.

JustToEatCake Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 11:22pm
post #29 of 34
Quote:

I'm thinking of it from a store front perspective... the HD would be all over you for doing that. So it's not for me. To each their own as I said. I don't have to worry about it since I'm not a scrapbooker. I also did state that it was just my own perspective. You don't need to justify your decision to me.

Sorry if you took my posting wrong. I wasn't trying to justify anything or be snarky (it's not my nature). Just stating my opinion, from what I know/understand. As far as HD, have delt with HD for over 20 years and paper products were required. Store front or no store front didn't make a difference for us, just safety. The ppm for chemicals on consumer paper products is so small they are non toxic (if they have ink on them then it must be non toxic also). The leaching of chemicals from plastics and certain metals (pans, utensils, etc) are more harmful. Glass (because of it's non leaching properties) and paper products for their non toxicity are the safest. So actually depending on what the blade (lead?)is made of it could be more hazardous than the paper. Personally I've never even used a cricut, but I do have one not out of the box yet if I ever get a chance to try it out!

FromScratch Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 1:40am
post #30 of 34

Oh no... I didn't read you as being snarky at all so I appologize if it came across that way. icon_smile.gif

I know that there are things FAR more hazardous than paper fuzz in this world. (Commercial grade cleaners for one... which just makes me LOL sometimes) I think that it's up to the individual in the end. For me... I wouldn't feel right using it for both, but like I said... it's not an issue for me since scrapbooking isn't a hobby of mine (if I took up a new hobby that required a mass of new doo dads I think my hubby would snap... hehehe).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%