My First Giant Cake????'s

Decorating By korkyo Updated 7 Feb 2010 , 3:08am by kiwigal81

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 3:12am
post #1 of 13

This will be the biggest one I've done so far so now I have a few questions.

It's going to be a 20"round x 18" sq x 14' r x 10" sq x 6" r.
All fondant. All stacked. with pearls in fondnat for borders.

I know it's going to have to go in parts for delivery. (I usually take 3 tiers as one unit) How can I Keep the bottom edges perfect so they can be stacked on site.

Just how much does a 20 " cake weigh? Am I going to need help lifting this one?

What about baking that? Do the half round pans work well? I have not used them. +each layer willhave filling too.

Any other hints are appreciated.

12 replies
poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 2:21pm
post #2 of 13

I can't answer any of your questions, but here's a bump. Maybe someone else will be able to help you out.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 2:45pm
post #3 of 13

Yes, you will need help.

I don't know how to figure cubic inches on a round (never passed "pi"), but a 20" square is 1600 cubic inches of cake (20x20x4).

I made a 2-layer 28x22 once (over 2400 cubic inches .... 28x22x4) and thank GOD I had a friend/bride happen by the shop, who volunteered to go with me to deliver it because I couldn't even lift it into my van!

Measure your oven to see what pans will fit. You may have to bake four 2-layer 10" squares and cut a 20" round from it. (easy to do .... make a paper template to lay on top and use that for a pattern.

indydebi Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 2:46pm
post #4 of 13

P.S. I really ENVY you getting to make a grand cake this big!!!!

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 2:56pm
post #5 of 13

WOW how many servings will that be??????

indydebi Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 3:10pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursula40

WOW how many servings will that be??????

By my calculations, over 450.

Based on my 60% Rule, did the bride REALLY invite over 750 people? icon_eek.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 7:15pm
post #7 of 13

Just so you know, the diagonal (from corner to corner) of the 18" square is a little over 25 inches, so all 4 corners are going to hang over the sides of the 20" round by a little over 2-1/2 inches.

The diagonal of the 10" square is a little over 14", so all 4 corners are going hang over the sidees of the 14" round by about an eighth of an inch.

To figure out if a square cake will fit onto a round cake, multiply the length of one side by itself, then multiply that result by 2, then hit the square root button on the calculator. (Basically, you're applying the Pythagorean Theorem, the length of the hypotenuse of a triangle squared is equal to the length of leg A squared plus the length of leg B squared).

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 8:20pm
post #8 of 13

That's what my question was PR. The squares looked awful big to go on those rounds.

Mike

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 8:29pm
post #9 of 13

DEFINATELY - and I know this from experience. icon_redface.gif Make sure the sizes all fit properly when mixing different shapes. (I never took algebra in school, so this was a serious problem for me when I first started making those cakes!)

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 8:43pm
post #10 of 13

Did the math.

A 14" square comes to 19-4/5", so will *just* fit on a 20" round with absolutely no room for error (corners will be right at the edges of the circle).

A 12" square will give you about 1-1/2" inches around the corners of the square cake, so that is the best size square to go on a 20" round.

You might need to swap the order of your tiers around and have the bottom tier be the square (can assemble by putting 4 separate 10" square cakes together, MUCH easier to do than one big cake!). So, 20" square, 16" round, 8" square, 4" round, but then that's only 338 servings...but you could always do sattelite cakes of 8" rounds with 4" squares at 32 servings each, or 8" rounds with 6" rounds at 36 servings each, or just the 8" rounds at 24 servings each.

HTH!

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 6:25pm
post #11 of 13

Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to buy the half pans and avoid all that math. I do cake--- not math. icon_smile.gif

I use Earlene Moores cake chart for serving. this size will yeild 400. + there getting a groom cake that is a full sheet with a farm sceen to go with his john deer toy. I don't think they are having that many people she just has this one cake in mind.

I told my husband he would have to help with this one. He never has had to before. He said OK as long as I don't divorce him if he screws up. HAHAHA

What about the finish work? If it has fondant bead borders and I can't take it stacked... will I have to finish all of that when I get there. That's going tobe a lot of time getting that all done.

dsilbern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilbern Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 6:56pm
post #12 of 13

pterrel - thank you so much for the easy calculation. I've made a note of it for future use. Apparently that math I learned in high school is useful for more than just excel formulas!

kiwigal81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwigal81 Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 3:08am
post #13 of 13

All those times in maths class when I thought to myself 'when the heck am I EVER going to use this??" Ahhh, if only I'd known...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%