Nobody's Heard Of Mmf In Uk.

Decorating By cardicard Updated 7 Apr 2010 , 7:35am by margi24

cardicard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cardicard Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 2:28am
post #1 of 20

I made my daughter a baby shower cake and covered it with mmf, everybody loved it. I was really surprised as nobody seems to have heard of it. I have spoken to quite a few cake decorators at my local college in Herefordshire, UK. where i am attending a sugar paste flower making course and even my local cake decorating supply shop, they haven't heard about it either.

So i have got the recipe i used from here and have been handing them out so hopefully i can convert a few to using it. I prefer it to fondant, it tastes a lot better and every body at the party agreed.

I have joined the British sugar guild website and nobody ever mentions mmf, I am really surprised at that, i have only been cake decorating for 4 months and have learned nearly everything from cakecentral i am recommending it to all my friends, its the best.

19 replies
adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 2:37am
post #2 of 20

well thats pretty cool you get to be the one to introduce it icon_biggrin.gif! You can be the innovative source for them icon_wink.gif

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 1:47pm
post #3 of 20

I have passed it out as well at my sugarcraft class here in East Anglia.

They liked the taste and I received many compliments on a cake served at a tea party. They said it was the best they had ever had. thumbs_up.gif -- Works for me!

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 2:27pm
post #4 of 20

Umm, I can't imagine why you'd want to bother going to all that effort when there are dozens of brands of good tasting, easily available fondant in the UK?! Renshaws actually make their own brand of MMF, it's called 'covering paste' I believe. Personally, I find both the covering paste and MMF horrible to work with. I fell in love with British Sugar's Icecraft sugarpaste - it tasted divine and was like silk to smooth. Unfortunately they had problems with it growing mould quickly in storage (not on the cake), I had it happen to me - in fact at Xmas I had to throw away 7.5kgs of the stuff - I was MAD! I believe they are now working on the problem.

laidbackluvvie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laidbackluvvie Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 2:36pm
post #5 of 20

here in the uk nearly everyone covers celebration cakes in fondant, and i had never seen a birthday cake ect covered in buttercream icing, i have got a few recipes from here and aim to try them out,all your cakes look fb by the way, i say dont knock it till youve tried it.

Cake4ever Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 8:47am
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRowesHunny

Umm, I can't imagine why you'd want to bother going to all that effort when there are dozens of brands of good tasting, easily available fondant in the UK?! Renshaws actually make their own brand of MMF, it's called 'covering paste' I believe. Personally, I find both the covering paste and MMF horrible to work with. I fell in love with British Sugar's Icecraft sugarpaste - it tasted divine and was like silk to smooth. Unfortunately they had problems with it growing mould quickly in storage (not on the cake), I had it happen to me - in fact at Xmas I had to throw away 7.5kgs of the stuff - I was MAD! I believe they are now working on the problem.

For me it comes down to cost and useage. I'd much rather save money on making it myself than buying it, especially when I don't use it that often. And I love the fact that I can flavor it during the making process. I also save money by making my own gum paste/sugarpaste for class. One batch lasts me the whole course, so it is cost effective and convenient. I'd rather spend my money on buying all the good quality and fun British tools and cutters that are not so easily available back home...

There was one fondant that I tried at NEC 2 years ago, the chocolate fondant was sooo good. OMG, it was like nothing I had ever tasted. I can't remember the name of it. When we were in line to catch the bus back to the car park, I told my friend we should have grabbed some to snack on the way back. I look around lo and behold, someone from the convention was snacking on the very thing I just mentioned! Yum. I'll have to find my photos because I took a picture of her stand.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 1:23pm
post #7 of 20

Hi, once I used MMF to cover a cake but many agreed that its more sweeter than the normal sugarpaste. And I felt that way too. And also I tried MFF which is much much nicer than MMF. I hate making my own sugarpaste as it is time consuming and very hard work. icon_smile.gif

Cake4ever Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 5:04pm
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashini

Hi, once I used MMF to cover a cake but many agreed that its more sweeter than the normal sugarpaste. And I felt that way too. And also I tried MFF which is much much nicer than MMF. I hate making my own sugarpaste as it is time consuming and very hard work. icon_smile.gif

I need to give it a try, the MFF. Yes, I agree, if I had as much fondant to do as you all, I don't think I'd care to make it all the time. icon_wink.gif

sillyoldpoohbear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillyoldpoohbear Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 5:38pm
post #9 of 20
Quote:

I fell in love with British Sugar's Icecraft sugarpaste - it tasted divine and was like silk to smooth.

I think it all come down to personal taste. I tried the Icecraft paste & wasn't keen on the taste at all, it seemed so false. As for working with it, it was awful it kept sticking to the work surface.

I've used Covapaste for years & have now switched to Regalice as I was spending more time working it than decorating the cake. So it just shows.

As for MMF I've never tried it as I use so much sugarpaste it would be too time consuming. Maybe one day I'll give it a go, if I ever get time lol. However, I do make my own flowerpaste & funnily enough was just telling my DH how I'd just saved myself £9 today by doing so!

SkisInOkinawa I think the paste you're are talking about is made by Tracey Mann & I agree it is sooo yummy. Check out her website traceyscakes.co.uk she has some lovely cakes on there. I'm hoping one day I'll get the chance to go & take a class with her.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 6:38pm
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyoldpoohbear

I think it all come down to personal taste. I tried the Icecraft paste & wasn't keen on the taste at all, it seemed so false. As for working with it, it was awful it kept sticking to the work surface.

I've used Covapaste for years & have now switched to Regalice as I was spending more time working it than decorating the cake. So it just shows.

I found kneading a bit of veg fat into the Icecraft stopped that problem of sticking. I personally hate the taste of Regalice and it always has a really weird smell (to my nose anyway!). I use either Ballina sugarpaste (from Argentina) or Pettinice because that's the best of what's avaliable here (not keen on the taste of those either really!) MMF is definitely not cheap for me to make as white marshmallows are a PITA to find here, and to be honest, I don't like the taste of that either! I think I'm a meringue buttercream girl given half the chance thumbs_up.gif !

cardicard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cardicard Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 10:15pm
post #11 of 20

Whats mff? Sorry never heard of it. icon_smile.gif

bashini Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 9:41am
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardicard

Whats mff? Sorry never heard of it. icon_smile.gif

Its Michelle Foster's Fondant. It is in the Recipe Index. icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 10:12am
post #13 of 20
Quote:

Umm, I can't imagine why you'd want to bother going to all that effort when there are dozens of brands of good tasting, easily available fondant in the UK?!

I think that's why so many of us make our own. Here, the only kind you can get at the craft store or Walmart is Wiltons. So either you have to order a better fondant online and pay shipping or find one locally. I live in a city with a population of more than a million, just to give you an idea of the size, and there is one store in town where you can buy fondant. And it comes out about the same price to buy it there as it does to order it online and pay shipping. (besides I can't walk out of there without at least two more things that I really didn't need and shouldn't have spent money on icon_biggrin.gif) So that's why I make my own fondant. I wish it would get more common here...actually I wish Kraft (the marshmallow brand) would just start making their own and that the grocery stores would carry it.

sillyoldpoohbear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillyoldpoohbear Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 12:05pm
post #14 of 20
Quote:

I found kneading a bit of veg fat into the Icecraft stopped that problem of sticking. I personally hate the taste of Regalice and it always has a really weird smell (to my nose anyway!)

I agree I've never been a fan of Regalice myself, we always used to call it evilice at college icon_lol.gif I know what you mean about the smell there's something very vinegary about it that jumps out & grabs you when you open the packet. But this latest batch I've got seems completely different, it has no smell & tastes much better.

I've heard of Petinice but can't say I've ever seen it at a stockist here. My friend has started using Asda's own brand & says it's marvellous. It tastes good & works really well without cracking. Must give it a try.

Texas_Rose yes we are rather spoilt here when it comes to sugarpaste. You can buy it in every supermarket (not always the best) & within reach of the small town I live, there are about 6 cake decorating shops.

I have thought about making my own, especially the chocolate paste. My mom used to make her own in the 80's but I remember it used to crack awfully.

margi24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margi24 Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 4:04pm
post #15 of 20

can i ask what the mmf recipe is your handing out, im from UK too and am making a sponge wedding cake for my brother next month i need a fondant/sugarpaste that is easy to work with, pliable to not crack and tasty. Any help would be great thanks

bashini Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 4:27pm
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by margi24

can i ask what the mmf recipe is your handing out, im from UK too and am making a sponge wedding cake for my brother next month i need a fondant/sugarpaste that is easy to work with, pliable to not crack and tasty. Any help would be great thanks

Hi, I used the one in the Article section. But only one time.

http://cakecentral.com/articles/105/mmf-how-to-decorate-cake-marshmallow-fondant

Personaly I wouldn't make this for a wedding, if you havem't tried it before. If you have time, make it and see whether you like the texture and the taste. how it turns out. If you don't have time, then I would go for shop bought sugasrpaste.

margi24 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 7:33am
post #17 of 20

thanks, icon_smile.gif any idea which brand is the nicest/ best sugarpaste to use for a sponge wedding cake?

margi24 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 7:35am
post #18 of 20
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by margi24

Hi, I used the one in the Article section. But only one time.

http://cakecentral.com/articles/105/mmf-how-to-decorate-cake-marshmallow-fondant

Personaly I wouldn't make this for a wedding, if you havem't tried it before. If you have time, make it and see whether you like the texture and the taste. how it turns out. If you don't have time, then I would go for shop bought sugasrpaste.

thanks, can i ask which brand of sugarpaste would be nicest/best for a sponge wedding cake? icon_smile.gif

bashini Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 8:33am
post #19 of 20

You are welcome. icon_smile.gif I always use Covapaste. I love the texture, so easy to work with and the taste is good as well. But sometimes I use Renshaw's Regal Ice. That is also quite good and loads of decorators use this. But its a little bit expencive than the Covapaste. I also heard that Tesco own brand is good as well. But never tried it myself. icon_smile.gif

margi24 Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 7:35am
post #20 of 20
Quote:

You are welcome. icon_smile.gif I always use Covapaste. I love the texture, so easy to work with and the taste is good as well. But sometimes I use Renshaw's Regal Ice. That is also quite good and loads of decorators use this. But its a little bit expencive than the Covapaste. I also heard that Tesco own brand is good as well. But never tried it myself. icon_smile.gif

thanks for this advice its a great help, i might havè a trial run with a cake an use coverpaste if my cake decorating shop has it, i dont mind the price as im not experienced and this is a gift for my brother. I was going to try a double choc brownie recipe later for maybe 1 of the tiers not sure which filling would work well with it tho? thanks again thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%