Help - Freezing Cake??

Decorating By AnotherCreation Updated 30 Jan 2010 , 6:34pm by dsilbern

AnotherCreation Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 5:46pm
post #1 of 8

I was just making a 2 tier baby shower cake and because of the weather my niece has postponed the shower till next Sunday. I have not frosted any of the cakes but they have been made. Can I freeze them? Will the quality still be ok? How long can they be frozen? and How long can I keep the bc icing?

7 replies
iamelms Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 6:00pm
post #2 of 8

yeah you can freeze cakes! They should be fine in the freezer for next week, just take them out and let them thaw before you ice them. The quality should be just fine. As for the BC, I'm not sure how long it'll stay good. I think if its in an airtight container it might be ok if you keep it in the fridge, but I'm really not sure about that...it probably depends on what recipe you used.

lapazlady Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 6:00pm
post #3 of 8

Double wrap the cake layers in plastic wrap, and then again in tin foil. They'll be perfect when you take them out of the freezer. Allow several hours for them to defrost before you unwarp and decorate. HTH

Classycakes Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 6:01pm
post #4 of 8

You can freeze both the cake and the buttercream icing just fine. Wrap your cakes well in plastic wrap and then put them in a ziplock freeze bag or similar. I do the same with the buttercream in little packets, then in ziplock. They will keep for quite a while.

AnotherCreation Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 6:04pm
post #5 of 8

thanks for the replies I was freaking out just a bit. Just didn't want all of that work gone to waste icon_smile.gif

The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 6:14pm
post #6 of 8

My WMI said that you can keep buttercream on the counter in an airtight container for up to 9 days...but I always refrigerate, just be prepared to thin it down again for spreading icon_smile.gif Atleast that's what I have to do.

cathyscakes Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 6:14pm
post #7 of 8

I think it makes the cake even more moist. I do it all of the time, even if its only for a week, or a few days, I just like to get the baking done ahead of time.

dsilbern Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 6:34pm
post #8 of 8

I work full time and always bake ahead and freeze my cakes - usually 1-2 weeks ahead of time. Last fall I had a party delayed and the cakes were frozen for 6 weeks before I used them. I am my own worst critic and even I could not detect a quality difference. They were wrapped double in film and also sealed in freezer ziplocs with the air squeezed out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%