Freezing Cakes

Decorating By mustangsally93 Updated 31 Jan 2010 , 5:51pm by mustangsally93

mustangsally93 Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 5:04pm
post #1 of 3

I doalot of cakes that have the bold/darker colors. I have someone wanting 3 cakes for a time Im going to be out of town. Im just wondering how to freeze or if they are freezable without bleeding and the best way to do it. I put all my cakes on cake boards with parchment paper over the board and then in a cake box with a window in the top of the box. To freeze these for them to be ready to go for this person,what would be the best way?

2 replies
Ayanami Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 5:19pm
post #2 of 3

hmm ... not sure about the color bleeding, but I can tell you how I freeze my cakes.

I wrap the box in clear wrap first, then wrap it in a layer of wax paper, then a final layer of alum foil. (gift wrapped like a present)

then when it's time to thaw, I move it to the fridge a day before (still wrapped) then out to the counter (room temp) the day of. I unwrap it when I move it out to room temp.

I have done this with buttercream icing & royal icing, a variety of colors.

HTH icon_smile.gif

mustangsally93 Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 5:51pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks I will try that.
Instead of freezing, if I need a cake on a Saturday and can have it baked and ready the Wednesday before, what is the best way to store it until then or is freezing the best option?

Quote by @%username% on %date%