My New Website

Business By shanasweets Updated 1 Feb 2010 , 10:27pm by EvMarie

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:45pm
post #1 of 20

My husband has been working feverish on my website. Tweaking so it is faster. Have a look, any advice taken. Thanks for looking.

www.shanasweets.com

19 replies
thecookieladycc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecookieladycc Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:52pm
post #2 of 20

Up your prices.... Your work is worth more. Nice cakes!

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:59pm
post #3 of 20

Great job, but I would make a way to navigate your website from every page, so you don't have to hit the back button to browse around.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 5:00pm
post #4 of 20

The first thing I notice is when I click a page, there is no option to go back to the homepage. I got to hit the back arrow.

shanasweets Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 11:50pm
post #5 of 20

Thanks for the tips, my son actually pointed out the having to go back button to, will talk to my husband about it.

As far as prices go, I did research and that is the going rate around here. I tried to stress that prices are design specific so I have some room. Definately will monitor. I have cake boss and have tried to run it thru so that I wasn't taking a loss. But I have trouble with the hourly wage thing on there, so usually don't add it.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 12:03am
post #6 of 20

Just a few suggestions on grammer. On your first page you have the word" thru", it is spelled " through". On your cookie page you say cookies are so much per" in", spell it out "inch" . Also you indicate that cookies can be put in "container", should say "a container". On the cake page, where you are discussing industry standard for a serving, there is a typo, 1 1/2 actually says 1 1/?.
Sorry for the picky things, but you asked.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 12:22am
post #7 of 20

Just a personal note-I'm not in love with the color background. Its really hard on my eyes. But that is totally personal. Also, the navigation bar needs to either be smaller, or have more spaces in between each feature.
Is the font universal? Google which fonts are so you know each person will see the same fonts and setups.
It needs some layout tweaking, but you'll get it right. Great start!

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 12:28am
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jentreu

Just a personal note-I'm not in love with the color background. Its really hard on my eyes. But that is totally personal.

Sorry, I have to agree about the color. But great start!

pearlydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pearlydi Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 12:44am
post #9 of 20

I agree too about the color, maybe you can use a background as you used in your last page. In your introduction you should say more about how great your cakes are and why people should have one, maybe mention fresh ingredients, custom made,etc.

ameliasam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ameliasam Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 12:51am
post #10 of 20

I like your website I might use some of your price for my cakes I have a hard time price my too my husband always telling me that I'm too cheap on my prices. I have a website too if you want to see my it's www.sandycakes.vpweb.com I can't advertise because I'm not a license bakery or have my license so I can only do cake for family and friends and word of mouth. but please take a look at my.

pearlydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pearlydi Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 1:05am
post #11 of 20

Ameliasam,I like your website and the colors you used. But I will increase the font I think it's to small.On your first page, don't say to live a comment good or bad because that shows a little insecurity. Also on your photos page you wrote"Feel free to look thur my photos thanks!, thur it is spelled " through", keep up the good work!

ameliasam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ameliasam Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 1:23am
post #12 of 20

pearlydi, thanks for the comment and I do have a little insecurity when it comes to my cakes I only been do them since Feb 2008 and sometimes my aunts tell me they have seen better so when I put them on here CC or my friends tell me I did a good job it makes me feel a little better about my cake decorating skills. and I will go change the things on my website thanks again.

kiwigal81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwigal81 Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 1:23am
post #13 of 20

Great start! I've found some typos, will PM you.

EatSomeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EatSomeCake Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 10:30pm
post #14 of 20

Your cakes are very good, you should up the price. Do be careful with the spelling on the cakes. I saw one belly cake that said: "Congradulation Tanilla." The proper spelling is Congratulations. On another cake it should have said Girls Rule in that situation, not "Girl's Rule." Just some friendly pointers, your cakes are lovely.

EatSomeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EatSomeCake Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 10:36pm
post #15 of 20

Your cakes are very good, you should up the price. Do be careful with the spelling on the cakes. I saw one belly cake that said: "Congradulation Tanilla." The proper spelling is Congratulations. On another cake it should have said Girls Rule in that situation, not "Girl's Rule." Just some friendly pointers, your cakes are lovely.

scratchdog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scratchdog Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 10:51pm
post #16 of 20

How much would you charge for a bucket of beers? You can see it on my pictures. 3 Sugar bottles, ice, sugar shot glass, broken sugar bottle lying below, 3 10 inch rounds with fondant, airbrushed? I live in California. Thanks

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 3:53pm
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchdog

How much would you charge for a bucket of beers? You can see it on my pictures. 3 Sugar bottles, ice, sugar shot glass, broken sugar bottle lying below, 3 10 inch rounds with fondant, airbrushed? I live in California. Thanks

Here's the picture for your cake. I'd say about $200. It's go a lot of details on it.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1541623

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 3:53pm
post #18 of 20

And to the OP - I couldn't get your website to load. You must be working on it. I'll check back later!

shanasweets Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 7:28pm
post #19 of 20

Not sure why site would not come up, came up fine for me and my grandmother. I know my husband is doing some work on it still. I did notice the typo on the belly cake, as I went to deliever it. The gal said she wouldn't have noticed and wasn't worried about it. It was a friend so it wasn't a big deal. I double check spellings now especially of names and such. Thanks for all the advice.

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 10:27pm
post #20 of 20

Price: I'm not a cake guru...but have noticed that $2 per serving, as referred to on CC is on the low end. I remember, off the top of my head, people charging $4 at very minimum for fondant covered cakes.

By the way - the fondant cakes are really great. They are clean. The flowers are simple and elegant. If you don't have a ton of competition for fondant in your area...maybe that could be "your" area of expertise.

I'm developing a business as well. I wanted to cover it all & ended up spreading myself too thin. Cakes, cookies, pastries, blah blah blah. But, really....I LOVE specialty cookies and learning new cake decorating techniques for cut out favors. So - that's the direction I'm going.

Of course, I'm not presuming to be a business yoda, but don't be afraid to specialize. Hint: Not that your other cakes aren't lovely...but your fondant covered cakes are just spot on!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%