Fondant Bows With Trim???

Decorating By MadeYaLook Updated 31 Jan 2010 , 9:17pm by LyndaOlsen

MadeYaLook Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 3:40pm
post #1 of 12

Just curious how this is done. I searched forums with no luck...maybe someone can guide me.

Looking for how to make a bow with a different color trim on the edges.

11 replies
greengyrl26 Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:01pm
post #2 of 12

Me too....bump!

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:22pm
post #3 of 12

I think, and I say think because I haven't done this. But this is how I would try this. You roll out and cut a strip of fondant (for sake of explanation) 1.5 inches thick. Then, using another color you roll out and cut a strip 1 inch thick. Then, lay one on top of the other and roll out once more just to meld the two together. Trim any edges again to get a straight cut and viola.

Again, this is just theory.

MadeYaLook Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 6:26pm
post #4 of 12

aptarpley's bow is an amazing example of the kind of bow I am referring to! check it out! Wow!

MadeYaLook Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 6:55pm
post #5 of 12

bumpity bump bump icon_smile.gif

shelly-101 Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 6:55pm
post #6 of 12

it looks to me like she used a extruder used for clay and added the different colored pieces to the edges of each loop. i have done one before and that is what i did. hope this helps

Renaejrk Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 7:19pm
post #7 of 12

I'm with shelly101 - it definitely looks like they added the edges - maybe attached them with water or gum glue, then shaped and dried the bow pieces.

dandelion56602 Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 7:41pm
post #8 of 12

I'm w/ shelly & renaejrk. I'd say cut the strips for the bow, use the clay extruder to get ropes/snakes then apply them to the edges of the strips, form & dry.

Texas_Rose Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 7:45pm
post #9 of 12

I've read instructions for a bow like that before and they did use the clay extruder to make the edges.

You can get a clay extruder at the craft store...the Makins one with the green twist top is the best.

SharonK1973 Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 8:08pm
post #10 of 12

Yeah... I've made this kind of bow before. You make the loops ahead of time and then with your clay extruder, make "strings" and then stick them to the edges of the loops with tylose glue.

icer101 Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 8:30pm
post #11 of 12

in my pix.. on a golden anniversary cake.. i show the bow up close. i made pearl edge.. i put it on as i made the bow.. glenda galvez has a dvd on this.. plus i seen her at ices convention showing it.. i used the small ck pearl maker.. the edge that is on the pearls when they come out.. you use a g/p tool.. put some glue down the edge of the strip and press with the g/p too(dresden too) works wonderful.. hth in other words .. you don,t have to let the bow loops dry .. before adding the edge..

LyndaOlsen Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 9:17pm
post #12 of 12

Look into SugarVeil. It makes great looking bows, is much easier than using fondant, looks incredible and the options are limitless.

- Prepare the SugarVeil per the instructions
- Prepare a cake board by wrapping the top in tightly pulled plastic wrap. Make sure its secure underneath and there are no creases.
- Lightly greased the top with Crisco
- Spread the prepared SugarVeil fairly thinly across the plastic wrap. The Sugarveil should contain no air bubbles, gaps, or lumps and it needs to be as smooth as you can get it. (See PDF instructions)
- Let dry approximately 3 hrs. It needs to be dry to the touch, but not so dry it crumbles. PULL THE PLASTIC WRAP away from the SugarVeil. If it crumbles, it's dried too long. The perfect product should be pliable.

At this point you can cut it in strips any width you want. Yes, you can use scrapbooking scissors which have the different cutting edges on it. You can also use any tools and cut shapes into it etc. I would imagine you could use some embossers too. Shape it into the bow you desire and let it sit. Once its completely dry it becomes hard and will no longer be pliable. Its great for working around areas on cakes because when its pliable you can adjust it and when it dries it stays exactly the way you want it.

In addition to reading the attached brochure I suggest querying the product up on the internet and look at what people have done with it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%