Can I Fill Fondant/gumpaste Crack W/ri And Then Paint?

Decorating By kathik Updated 4 Feb 2010 , 4:47pm by emiyeric

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 3:05pm
post #1 of 16

I have a horn I have made 4 times in 3 different mediums- fondant, RKT, and now fondant/gumpaste (50-50). The first three broke badly, and had to be redone.

This last one has been drying really well, but I just noticed has a couple of small cracks. This is part of the cake topper, so I really need it to be as close to perfect as possible. I have read that you can put royal in the cracks. Is it possible to paint over that (with Americolor/vodka mixture)?

Thanks,
Kathi

15 replies
kathik Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 12:42am
post #2 of 16

Anyone? Please?

Kathi

The_Lil_Cakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 1:01am
post #3 of 16

I've never done it, but I'm sure you could. It still icing, and it can be colored. It dries hard. If it doesn't work you'll have to remake it....and if you don't try you'll feel like you should remake it. It sounds like it'll work though to me. Or are the cracks big enough to fill with fondant and smooth out?

kathik Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 1:55am
post #4 of 16

icon_cry.gif I am NOT remaking it!! If this one doesn't work, I will just leave this off the cake! This is #4 already and I don't have time to remake it. The cracks aren't big enough to fill with fondant. My options at this point are:

1- leave the cracks alone, as they are fairly small, and hope they aren't more noticeable when painted

or

2-Fill cracks with Royal and paint when dry.

Has anyone actually used RI to fix cracks?

Thanks,
Kathi

kathik Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 4:14am
post #5 of 16

Anyone???

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 4:43am
post #6 of 16

Morning -

Whilst watching Sugarshacks Boxes & Bows DVD i saw her finish off around the lid and because there was a tiny gap she coloured the icing the same colour as the lid - piped a very fine line (using a very fine tip)- then smoothed over it with a gloved finger.
You couldn't tell where the gap was.

Sooooooo, long story short - yes you could do it. icon_smile.gif

Bluehue.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 4:45am
post #7 of 16

It seems like you have stated 3 options: Leave alone, fill and paint, and thirdly---remove and don't use.
It seems to me that if you are considering not using at all, what do you have to lose by giving it a try? I have never patched with RI, but other than possibly accepting the color differently (being two media), it should probably work.
I am interested in hearing how this turned out. I sure do wish you luck. After so many tries, your patience sounds incredible. Please post an answer as I might encounter the same problem someday and will appreciate someone having gone before!

mckaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mckaren Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 9:39am
post #8 of 16

water down some fondant to piping consistency and use that to fill the cracks. When it's dry enough you can smooth it more if you need to. This works well for piping borders too!

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 9:58am
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmaid42

It seems like you have stated 3 options: Leave alone, fill and paint, and thirdly---remove and don't use.
It seems to me that if you are considering not using at all, what do you have to lose by giving it a try? I have never patched with RI, but other than possibly accepting the color differently (being two media), it should probably work.
I am interested in hearing how this turned out. I sure do wish you luck. After so many tries, your patience sounds incredible. Please post an answer as I might encounter the same problem someday and will appreciate someone having gone before!

yep, that's my advice too. What's it going to hurt at this point? If it works; awesome, if it doesn't; well you e=were thinking of scrapping it anyway....

The_Lil_Cakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 7:58pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep_girl816

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmaid42

yep, that's my advice too. What's it going to hurt at this point? If it works; awesome, if it doesn't; well you e=were thinking of scrapping it anyway....

icon_smile.gif Thats what I was getting at

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 8:11pm
post #11 of 16

Yes, it absolutely does work! I did exactly that with my corset cake (one of the first I ever posted here), when I had a big old tear. It worked with that, so cracks should be no problem at all! I used buttercream, but I've also used RI .... just tint it to be as close as possible to whatever color of fondant/gumpaste you have right now (best if they're both white to begin with), and then paint a couple of coats.

Good luck! Be sure to post pics!

-Emi.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 8:18pm
post #12 of 16

They actually do that on Ace of Cakes all the time if they have cracks. Just fill w/royal, smooth and paint. They airbrush but I don't see why it wouldn't work with Americolors and vodka.

kathik Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 10:40pm
post #13 of 16

So, I have piped royal in the cracks and it is drying. I'll let everyone know what happens. I think I'll let it dry overnight and then paint it tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll have good results and be able to post a picture.

Thank you all,
Kathi

kathik Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 8:11pm
post #14 of 16

Okay, so my shofar is done!! Yay! Hooray!

I tried the royal icing, but wasn't happy with the results, so I redid it with the softened fondant idea. It worked really well. Thank you so much for that suggestion!

Below is the finished shofar, front and back.

Thanks all. Now I just have to get it to Raleigh, NC.

Kathi
LL
LL

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 9:43pm
post #15 of 16

Congratulations! I can surely see why you wouldn't want a crack to show. It looks awesome. Gotta remember what worked...

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 4:47pm
post #16 of 16

Beautiful work! Great job!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%