Scared To Deal W/ Wedding Cakes...why?

Decorating By amberkw Updated 31 Jan 2010 , 10:47pm by Evoir

amberkw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberkw Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 2:01pm
post #1 of 23

WHY oh WHY am I so scared to do a wedding cake? I have always wanted to and now have the chance. If you look at my cake photos, I have done all sorts of cakes, but never a wedding. I know I need to and thats where money is. ANy advice and encouragement...please?

22 replies
Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:26pm
post #2 of 23

Wedding cakes are scarry!! I just did my first one and it was SO stressful. I did it though and now I know I can. You can do it!! I would recommend starting out with a small one though, just to eliminate some of the stress factor. Good luck.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:33pm
post #3 of 23

A 2-tiered cake is a 2-tiered cake. A 3-tiered cake is a 3-tiered cake. A client may call one a birthday cake, a client may call there's a wedding cake. They are the exact same cake and equally important to both clients. icon_smile.gif

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:39pm
post #4 of 23

I understand. Even if you make zero mistakes, you could (god forbid) have a delivery issue...a car wreck...whatever....and a wedding cake is a once in a lifetime cake, unlike a birthday cake. Wedding cakes are so stressful for me that it ruined whatever joy I felt doing them. You just never know what kind of bride you are going to get!

LaBellaFlor Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:43pm
post #5 of 23

I think you guys are psyching yourselves out. And believe me, if someone just paid me $400 for a birthday cake, it is just as important to them as a bride who just paid me $400 for her cake. It's the exact same thinng. "You only get married once" "You only turn 1, 15, 21, 30, 40, 50...once"

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:49pm
post #6 of 23

LOL I know...I know....!

I do disagree, though. If I ordered a birthday cake and it somehow was damaged, I'd be disappointed...if it was my WEDDING cake, though, I'd be really, really sad. I wouldn't blame the cake baker, but I would still be crushed. (That being said though, I wouldn't let it ruin my day. But then, I rock)!

LaBellaFlor Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:52pm
post #7 of 23

Yeah, okay, go ask the girl who's Sweet 15 if her feelings where crushed, cause her cake was ruined. I'm sure they were just as crushed as the bride. And I think we know how parents can be about Johnnny's 1st birthday. And we are supposed to encourage the OP and help her get over her fear... icon_biggrin.gif

milmil95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milmil95 Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 5:00pm
post #8 of 23

Sometimes we just have to bit the bullet and take the challenge, fear and all. I know when I do something that initially I was scared of I am very proud of myself, even if it fails, because I went for it.
To quote a very wise woman the best experiences in my life initially scared me to death.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 5:02pm
post #9 of 23

Until you dont start doing them you wont ever get over the hump.
Is scary and might always be scary, but the rewards can be so
great.
Edna icon_smile.gif

The_Lil_Cakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 5:17pm
post #10 of 23

I was scared to do a Topsy Turvy, I psyched myself out, but once It came to the day I did it. and I think it turned out okay. I did have some issues, but apparently i was the only one that saw them because the birthday girl was so happy and was bragging to all that could hear her that it was only my 3rd paid cake. All that stress, and she couldn't even see where I had troubles. Do some practice cakes, send them to work with family. Not only are you getting to practice, but you're giving away FREE cake, and that gets your talent out there. It is itimidating, but like labellaflor said, a 3 tier is a 3 tier is a 3 tier. Take it slow, budget your time for mistakes, and you'll be fine. And Trust me I was SCARED to deliver the 25th bday cake, just as much as I would delievering the wedding cake, someone still paid me to make it!!!

The_Lil_Cakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 5:20pm
post #11 of 23

BTW I just looked at your photos! You have nothing to worry about...hello you've carved a cake..you can do a wedding cake!!!!

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 5:20pm
post #12 of 23

Visit this website for wedding cakes ideas. I love this blog

www.mysweetandsaucy.com

martha stewarts website

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 5:21pm
post #13 of 23

I would say go for it. Just be sure to allow plenty of time to bake and decorate the cake. Use a great support system within the cake. And, drive slowly when making the delivery. Once you get one done, you will have a lot more confidence for the next one.

Elaine2581 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elaine2581 Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 5:28pm
post #14 of 23

I did my first wedding cake back in November and it was scary for me too. I knew the groom and his parents but not the bride. Once I met her and found her to be easy to work with, my fears subsided quite a bit. I did the work and was pleased with it but I didn't assemble it until I got to the reception site. I had no problems with anything except that they allowed people to come in right after the wedding which was 30 minutes before the time printed on the invitation. I wasn't allowed in earlier because of other events booked there and when guests began to arrive, it made me nervous because I knew alot of them and many I hadn't seen in years and they wanted to talk and inspect. I just quickly finished and left some of the piped balls a little less smooth than I would have preferred. I'm sure you will do a wonderful job and it does give a great sense of accomplishment and rewards for helping others on their special day. Just my 2 cents worth.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 5:33pm
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyCakes09

BTW I just looked at your photos! You have nothing to worry about...hello you've carved a cake..you can do a wedding cake!!!!

Carving is a difficult skill but a completely different skill than when you do a wedding cake.
The problem with wedding cakes and the reason the majority of people are scared of them, is the fact that brides want perfection in their wedding cakes. Flaws in a party cake are often seen as a normal thing, but when you do the same flaws in a wedding cake, people will have a fit!
A party cake can be a little crooked and it will be ok. A wedding cake that is a little crooked can be taken as a cake that is about to fall.

Another reason is the delivery, carrying big cakes can be scary.

And the fact that you are the person who are making such an important
part of a wedding that can be a big weight on your shoulders.
Edna icon_smile.gif

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 5:53pm
post #16 of 23

Go for it! The delivery to me is the most stressful! That goes for ANY cake! I agree too that a cake is a cake. Yes wedding cakes are important but so are any of the cakes I do. When someone hands you hundreds of dollars they are always wanting perfection.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 6:09pm
post #17 of 23

You can do it! As Edna said, you won't ever get over it, until you start making them!

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 6:23pm
post #18 of 23

You should definitely do it! It is scary, but you will never really know until you try. You have the capability and the talent.

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 5:11am
post #19 of 23

Just use a sturdy structure inside your cake like the SPS system. The bride chooses YOU to make her cake because she loves your style and trusts you. And setting up at the different venues is sooo exciting to me. I love the excitement! Just do it!! thumbs_up.gif

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 5:10pm
post #20 of 23

That's why i only do few for only good friends, i always tell them if its all BC there will be imperfections, Just to cover my butt , in case my BC icing was acting strange, I give them the heads up that i am by no means a professional cake decorater, It's a Hobby for me.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 5:24pm
post #21 of 23
mireillea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mireillea Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 6:49pm
post #22 of 23

I am so sorry that a lot of responses would make you even more scared, due to the stressful undertone!
Wedding cakes can be so much fun! I find it a privilege to be part of the joy and excitement a wedding couple feels when coming to a tasting, when discussing their wishes and wedding cake design. I really think that is special! I don't agree with so many people here that a wedding cake is the same as a birthday cake. Every couple that comes for a wedding cake is certain that their wedding is a once in a lifetime event. They are meant to be together and they will neeeeeever part. They will not be part of the 34% of marriages that end in divorce every year. To me, that's almost similar to the innocence of a young child. Call it naieve or call it one of the few moments in your life that you truly believe in something (and boy do I know, being married for the second time). And with that feeling, with that joy, they come to you!
What I would like to say is: don't see it as a mountain, see it as being part of a unique event. They choose you to make that moment even better. And that is a great compliment.
And for the technical part: SPS, SPS, SPS, SPS and slooooow driving. Then everything will work out just fine!

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 10:47pm
post #23 of 23

I love the perfection and details that go into making a wedding cake, right down to meeting with the excited bride and talking about cakes with them...that is not to say I do not take pride in the work I do for birthday cakes, or christening cakes, or any of my carved 3D cakes. They are just as (if not more) time-consuming than a wedding cake! But weddings have a degree of importance to the client I personally have not felt with other non-wedding clients. This is just my 2 cents, mind you.

I think if you love attention to detail (and by this I mean everything from the cake itself, to carefully filling out paperwork and contracts to make sure your liability is clear to both parties) then I am positive you will enjoy the challenge of makiing somebody's wedding cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%