How Can I Color....

Decorating By miny Updated 31 Jan 2010 , 1:04am by miny

miny Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 9:46am
post #1 of 8

SMBC? I know the regular food gels won't work but what kind of coloring do I need to buy? When do I add it to the BC? and how well would it take the color? I mean do I need to add a lot? TIA for any help on this matter.

7 replies
miny Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 10:53pm
post #2 of 8

prterrell Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 12:32am
post #3 of 8

I use the gel paste coloring in IMBC, don't see why it wouldn't work in SMBC. Wilton gel paste is widely available (Michael's, Hobby Lobby, Wal-mart). I personally prefer Americolor and CK, both available from You can also get Americolor from GSA.

miny Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 12:37am
post #4 of 8

OK, thank you so much, I thought nobody would answer me, so any GEL would work, great! I thought I had to buy the food coloring used for chocolate making. Thanks again

prterrell Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 12:44am
post #5 of 8

I have no idea if the chocolate coloring would work. Were you unable to find regular icing coloring?

dailey Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 12:56am
post #6 of 8

my last 2 cakes that i've made where with colored SMBC. i used americolor gels too. here is a tip for coloring your icing. take a small amount of your smbc and add the color to it. then pop it in the microwave for just a couple seconds. you want it to soften but not melt! then add that to the rest of your batch. i found that if i don't do this, the gels make the icing grainy *and* you can achieve a much darker shade this way.

miny Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 12:58am
post #7 of 8

I have the color I need, it's americolor gel, I was worried because I've used it only for the PS frosting, I've never colored SMBC and the butter part scared me I thought because of the fat content I needed a special kind of candy coloring

miny Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 1:04am
post #8 of 8

OMG thank you Dailey, this is a great tip, so need it for my first time coloring SMBC, I really love this frosting but I always use it as it is, I thought it would be nice to try and give it a little pop. Thanks guys! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%