Help Me Please Mffondant

Decorating By mcampbell31 Updated 2 Feb 2010 , 2:54pm by mcampbell31

mcampbell31 Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 6:52am
post #1 of 11

I don't know how many times i've posted this week just for help but I appreciate all the help that I have gotten. You guys are Great!!

My issue is the Michele Foster Fondant. I made so many batches of it and it seems fine. The thing is the consistancy seems to change pretty fast. I tried rolling it out and it seem fine up until I try and pick it up it breaks. My cake is due tomorrow and I seriously just want to break down and cry. All of my little decorations are ready to go on the cake but I just can't get this fondant rolled out and put on the cake. Well cakes because it's a 3 tier. I think when I made that 14 inch I bit off more than I can chew now i'm trying to roll out fondant to fit that sucker.

Now I've been keeping Crisco on my hands and kneading it into the fondant and that seems to make it better. Is this really helping or hurting it and should I continue to do that. The fondant is already soft and it softens it up more so that I can work with it but when I go to roll it out which is fine but picking it up is a different story.

I'm really desperate at this point.

10 replies
SandiOh Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 7:04am
post #2 of 11

I think that MFF tastes wonderful, but I could never get it to work out, even after multiple questions, attempts. I stopped using it, and now use Jennifer Dontz fondant. SOOOO very glad I did. sorry that doesn't help you now, but maybe for the future.

Evoir Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 7:16am
post #3 of 11

Hey there...you might want to try rolling it gently onto your pin to get it over the cake. The other thing to try is getting your whole forearms under each side of the fondant to move it up and onto your cake.

If all else fails, you might try covering the top of each round with a round of fondant, theen making a 4-inch band of fondant long enough to wrap around the cake. Smooth tops and sides and then use some RI to pipe a shell border or similar around the join. I know its not the fondant look you are going for - just a last minute solution in case you are feeling out of options.

Good luck icon_smile.gif

mcampbell31 Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 7:23am
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandiOh

I think that MFF tastes wonderful, but I could never get it to work out, even after multiple questions, attempts. I stopped using it, and now use Jennifer Dontz fondant. SOOOO very glad I did. sorry that doesn't help you now, but maybe for the future.

Yes i'm having such a hard time with it. It rolls out nice but it breaks fast and it gets dry very fast.

mcampbell31 Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 11:34am
post #5 of 11

I got one hour of sleep! *sigh* I give up. The cake is for my sister n laws cousins shower. She didn't ask for fondant but I thought I'd be nice and do it. MFF is not for me. It's ok if i'm using a little at time because i made my decorations with it but when it comes to smoothing out to cover a 14 inch cake NOT!!! It asks all dry and breaks. This was my first and my last time using the fondant. I guess it wasn't meant for everyone because I followed the instructions step by step. The consistency of it is just horrible.

sheilabelle Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 1:57pm
post #6 of 11

Did you add the 6 oz. of melted white choc.? This does help make the fondant easier to work with. Also, you could roll the fondant out on a piece of vinyl (the kind you could buy at a fabric store) that is smeared with Crisco. Then you can pick up the mat with the fondant on it and flip it over onto your cake. HTH

mcampbell31 Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 4:32pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheilabelle

Did you add the 6 oz. of melted white choc.? This does help make the fondant easier to work with. Also, you could roll the fondant out on a piece of vinyl (the kind you could buy at a fabric store) that is smeared with Crisco. Then you can pick up the mat with the fondant on it and flip it over onto your cake. HTH

No didn't use the chocolate. The fondant worked for my accents but when I rolled it out to fit my 14 inch cake it just broke apart. It was horrible to work with and I made sooo much of it. I guess i'll just use it for accents in future. I'm going to have to try another type of fondant that I can make because buying it is expensive.

in2cakes2 Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 4:54pm
post #8 of 11

I have had an awful time in the past with MFF then I got some clear vinyl and it works beautifully for placing fondant on cakes. Yard of vinyl = $2.99, not fighting with the fondant = priceless.

galliesway Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 4:59pm
post #9 of 11

Maybe try a different recipe. I have tried a few but this one works for me.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7351/marshmallow-fondant-macsmoms-bc-flavored-variation

Sugarflowers Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 5:22am
post #10 of 11

Adding shortening to the fondant will weaken it. Try softening it with some glycerin instead. Kneading in a small amount if tylose will add some strength and stretch.

HTH

Michele

mcampbell31 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 2:54pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarflowers

Adding shortening to the fondant will weaken it. Try softening it with some glycerin instead. Kneading in a small amount if tylose will add some strength and stretch.

HTH

Michele

I did alllllllllllllllllll that! It just did not work. The Gylcerine made it workable for a minute but then when I used a large amount of fondant and rolled it out it just broke apart. I never wanna make that stuff again..lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%