Quilted Diamond Pattern In Buttercream?

Decorating By letsgetcaking Updated 31 Jan 2010 , 9:37pm by LyndaOlsen

letsgetcaking Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:55am
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone,

Do any of you have any tips or ideas for creating the quilted diamond pattern on a cake in buttercream? I found a tutorial on Wilton's website for creating the pattern in fondant, but I'm not sure if that technique will work on buttercream. Do you think just pressing the back of a butter knife into the frosting could work?

Thanks for any help you can give me. I'm trying to finish up a cake tonight for my students' recital tomorrow.

5 replies
RetiredNavyChief Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 5:11am
post #2 of 6

If you dont need it right now, you can order a impression sheet. SUGARSHACK has one on her site, or i have seen thr metal ones that have 3 of them, once your buttercream has crusted you use your mat. I have seen on Cakeboss where they do it by hand with a ruler and a heming tool from a sewing kit. Hope this helps or answers your question.

Renaejrk Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 5:12am
post #3 of 6

If your BC is crusted or chilled so it is firm it shouldn't be any problem! you could use anything you wanted to make the impression - I think it will look great!

letsgetcaking Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 5:17am
post #4 of 6

Thanks so much for your replies! I'm going to look into those impression mats for next time, RetiredNavyChef. Hopefully, they will save some time.

Thanks for the tip, Renaejrk! I'll definitely make sure to chill the iced cake before I try to add the imprints. I'll let you know how it goes.

momtofourmonkeys Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 5:28am
post #5 of 6

The first time I needed an impression mat, I didn't have one either. (Do now).

Anyway, I used a skewer stick for shish-ka-bobs. Waited untill my bc crusted and then in a see-saw motion, I imprinted the bc. The cake I did this with is in my pics. The weddind dress cake for a bridal shower.

LyndaOlsen Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 9:37pm
post #6 of 6

I use a crusting buttercream so the impression is clean.

I purchased a thin PLASTIC ruler just for the purpose of quilting. I mark the cake where the quilting is suppose to go and then press the SIDE of the ruler and gently into the cake. It keeps the line straight, and consistent. If some of the lines end up not as deep as others go back over them again with the ruler or one of your cake tools.

Or you can also use the impression mat and then use the ruler to deepen the indents if necessary.

I then throw the ruler in the dishwasher so it's always sterile.

Quote by @%username% on %date%