Crazy Square Cakes

Decorating By Honeychild Updated 31 Jan 2010 , 1:51am by Peridot

Honeychild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeychild Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:16am
post #1 of 8

I got started on a square wedding cake and after icing it and setting it up in the freezer before I wrap it, I can tell one corner is shorter than the other, about 1/2 inch. Good heavens, I can never get a perfect square, I give up. And tonight the gallery is full of perfect square cakes, gorgeous, and flawless...sigh. How does one get a perfect square? I will try to hide this flaw come time for decorating but I would love to get it right the first time for once. Any tips would be appreciated..

7 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:26am
post #2 of 8

Do you mean the cake is not level?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:30am
post #3 of 8

You have to build up those corners with an extra rosette of icing in every corner between the layers. Be generous! On the rare occasion I do a square cake (hate them) the corners are higher than the rest of the cake until I give it time to settle, then everything's even again.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:53am
post #4 of 8

You can also build corners with cake spackle between the layers, it will be more sturdy than the icing by itself.

Honeychild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeychild Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 1:26am
post #5 of 8

Thanks for those tips ladies. Yes, my square cakes are not very level but I will definetly try the icing and spackle trick.

love2frost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love2frost Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 1:37am
post #6 of 8

What is cake spackle?

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 1:47am
post #7 of 8

Sugarshack's buttercream dvd is awesome for showing how to ice round and square cakes. I highly recommend it.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 1:51am
post #8 of 8

Leah,

I don't remember from past posts - I assume you use the dam between layers. So with squares do you plop the extra rosette on top of the dam in the corners?

Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%