Crazy Square Cakes

Decorating By Honeychild Updated 31 Jan 2010 , 1:51am by Peridot

Honeychild Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:16am
post #1 of 8

I got started on a square wedding cake and after icing it and setting it up in the freezer before I wrap it, I can tell one corner is shorter than the other, about 1/2 inch. Good heavens, I can never get a perfect square, I give up. And tonight the gallery is full of perfect square cakes, gorgeous, and flawless...sigh. How does one get a perfect square? I will try to hide this flaw come time for decorating but I would love to get it right the first time for once. Any tips would be appreciated..

7 replies
prterrell Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:26am
post #2 of 8

Do you mean the cake is not level?

leah_s Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:30am
post #3 of 8

You have to build up those corners with an extra rosette of icing in every corner between the layers. Be generous! On the rare occasion I do a square cake (hate them) the corners are higher than the rest of the cake until I give it time to settle, then everything's even again.

Renaejrk Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:53am
post #4 of 8

You can also build corners with cake spackle between the layers, it will be more sturdy than the icing by itself.

Honeychild Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 1:26am
post #5 of 8

Thanks for those tips ladies. Yes, my square cakes are not very level but I will definetly try the icing and spackle trick.

love2frost Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 1:37am
post #6 of 8

What is cake spackle?

jammjenks Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 1:47am
post #7 of 8

Sugarshack's buttercream dvd is awesome for showing how to ice round and square cakes. I highly recommend it.

Peridot Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 1:51am
post #8 of 8

Leah,

I don't remember from past posts - I assume you use the dam between layers. So with squares do you plop the extra rosette on top of the dam in the corners?

Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%