post #1 of 68

is called to order.

Who's up?

Whatcha workin' on?

67 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 3:34am
post #2 of 68

No cakes for me tonight. January is always a verrrry slow month. Next Friday night should be slammin, though.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 3:38am
post #3 of 68

I'm up.

Was going to bake a cake tonight (just two 8" hexagon layers of lemon butter cake) so all I have to do tomorrow is ice and decorate (it's for a church meeting on Sunday), but I forgot all my butter was in the freezer. So, the butter's on the counter and I'll be baking the cake in the morning. icon_biggrin.gif

I have 3 bananas that are as ripe as they can get, so I'll be baking a loaf of banana bread in the morning as well.

Normally I try not to bake and decorate on the same day b/c of the heat, but in the winter I can get away with it. If it's too hot, I'll just open a couple of windows and decorate in a sweater. icon_lol.gif

Hubby's going to be gone most of tomorrow w/ his guy friends to a trivia tournament, so I can crank up the radio and play in the kitchen to my heart's content!

I *should* be asleep right now, but I'm not sleepy. So I'm browsing CC and working on my cookbook.

Watcha up to, Leah_S?

leah_s Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 3:41am
post #4 of 68

DH and I went to an orchestra concert tonight. Verdi's Requiem. Quite majestic! I have a dear friend who's in the orchestra, so I frequently get free tickets. icon_smile.gif

prterrell Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 3:53am
post #5 of 68

Ooooo! Lucky!

I made chicken and dumpling stew for dinner and we watched this week's episode of House that we'd DVR'd earlier this week. Pretty laid back evening.

leah_s Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 3:57am
post #6 of 68

I've got a wedding next Saturday and a HUGE wedding show next Sunday on "Super Bride Sunday" aka Super Bowl Sunday. icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 3:59am
post #7 of 68

Come on, all you lurkers. 42 looks and only 2 of us talking. Come on in to the cluhouse1

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:02am
post #8 of 68

Finished the orchids for my cake show cake. Fought with fondant for an hour before I decided I'd had enough and put it back in the bag. I'll try again tomorrow.

Geez, I normally don't have fondant issues but this time it's been awful. Thinking I probably didn't start out with a large enough glob of fondant and rolled it too thin, then it started drying out so the elephant skin started. UGH!!! icon_cry.gif

Has anyone ever seen a basketweave design done in fondant rather than buttercream??? If I can't get this cake covered with a layer of clean, smooth fondant I may switch gears and do some kind of pattern with the fondant instead.

juliebold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juliebold Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:06am
post #9 of 68

Finished two of my three cakes. I still have a 2010 mustang to do.

alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:11am
post #10 of 68

Things have been slow for me also since the week of Christmas. Finished two cakes today for delivery tomorrow.

leah_s Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:13am
post #11 of 68

Newmans, I've seen rollin pin with a basketweave pattern on them (and other patterns also) but have never used one. I have used a swirly impression mat all over fondant. I did like that effect.

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:16am
post #12 of 68

All my cakes are done! working on designing some gift certificates for my next bridal show this sunday and my valentine's day flyer.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:17am
post #13 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Newmans, I've seen rollin pin with a basketweave pattern on them (and other patterns also) but have never used one. I have used a swirly all over fondant. I did like that effect.

Ya know, I think I saw the basketweave pin in our local cake shop earlier this week. I may have to think about that!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:20am
post #14 of 68

No cakes for me this week. There's plenty I could and probably even should be doing for next week. I'm pullin' a Scarlet...."I worry about that tomorrow..."

prterrell Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:23am
post #15 of 68

Next weekend I've got cookies and mini pound cakes to make for a charity event and then all the food for our Super Bowl Party, but fortunately hubby's in charge of some of that!

Then for Valentine's weekend I've got 2 birthday cakes, one for a friend, and one for my nephew's 2nd birthday. I'd love to make a cake for the Valentine's contest, but not sure if I'll have time. If I do, it'll have to be a dummy as hubby and I are both on strict diets at the moment.

leah_s Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:26am
post #16 of 68

Anybody heard of the Project Wedding website. My Google Alert just showed me a few reviews of my biz on there, and I've never heard of it before.

And if you're not using Google alerts you should be.

dstbni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dstbni Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:29am
post #17 of 68

Made some chocolate cookies from Toba's cookie book and decorated them with my new stencils. Now I have to figure out who to give them to.

leah_s Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:32am
post #18 of 68

:raises hand::

Me! I love cookies!

all4cake Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:36am
post #19 of 68

I've not heard of it...

alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:39am
post #20 of 68

dstbni, that sounds like me. I've never made a wedding cake but would like to practice but what would I do with all that cake?

prterrell Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:40am
post #21 of 68

alene: that's why we have cake dummies!

chelseak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseak Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:44am
post #22 of 68

I am supposed to be baking a chocolate cake tonight...but decided to wait until the morning. It is for a friends son's 1st birthday. Very simple 9" round with blue fondant and a bear face on it and a matching smash cake.... Should take me an hour maybe to decorate.

Although I do have to squeeze curling in there sometime tomorrow..... Next week we are curling against the Chinese Olympic Curling team! Not really that exciting, they are using the rink we practice in to practice before the Olympics in Vancouver, and they want us newbies there to make them feel better lol just kidding icon_smile.gif

Anyways, I'm done blabbering now, enjoy your Friday night everyone!!

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:54am
post #23 of 68

Dummies all the way! I threw one together tonight just for the heck of it. Picked some vine flowers and voila! Instant portfolio padding!

Hope everyone is doing well with their cakes tonight. I have another weekend off. Double wedding next Saturday though!

Crazy day....NOT ready to give up my lovely avatar pic yet! icon_biggrin.gif

all4cake Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:58am
post #24 of 68

Oh, my word, Jamie! That avatar looks like little Suzie meets Bubba meets The Grudge! oof!

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 5:02am
post #25 of 68

chelseak, I love the Olympics. I think it's exciting to do anything with an Olympian! Wish I had paid more attention to where the winter Olympics were. I would love to attend. Oh well... next time.

Sitting here watching tennis waiting for the women's final to come on. I should be working on DH birthday cakes but I'm too comfy on this couch. Oh well, guess I'll keep "researching" on CC for awhile. icon_smile.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 5:05am
post #26 of 68

Trying to get motivated to work on some orchids and a gumpaste guiter and skateborad to go on a cake next week. I should also be working on some stencils, BUT I don't feel like it.

Jamie what is up with the freaky looking avatar?

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 5:10am
post #27 of 68

:d Just being cheeky. Had a rotten day. I tried to post something rotten looking, but maintain some sort of funnyishness. Just made up that word. How ya like it?

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 5:11am
post #28 of 68

Wow. I want to be able to make up a word...

chelseak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseak Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 5:13am
post #29 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by twooten173

chelseak, I love the Olympics. I think it's exciting to do anything with an Olympian! Wish I had paid more attention to where the winter Olympics were. I would love to attend. Oh well... next time.

Sitting here watching tennis waiting for the women's final to come on. I should be working on DH birthday cakes but I'm too comfy on this couch. Oh well, guess I'll keep "researching" on CC for awhile. icon_smile.gif

Well, this time they are in Whistler and Vancouver, B.C. Very mixed feelings about the Olympics here....Especially in the areas where they are going to be held. But it will be very exciting to be curling with an Olympic team! although I am guessing it won't be a close game lol. We are prepared to lose gracefully icon_biggrin.gif My hubby is pretty excited.

I am also doing ALOT of "research" right now on CC.... I should be doing something useful, but hey it's Friday!

all4cake Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 5:14am
post #30 of 68

LOL! It's moving Jamie!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%