How Much Should I Charge For Cakeballs...

Decorating By jessmeyer Updated 3 Feb 2010 , 6:33pm by keflyn

jessmeyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessmeyer Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 1:56am
post #1 of 14

I have just recently discovered the fantastic world of cake balls! I have been making them for a few weeks now, and have given out lots of free bees for people to sample. Now, I am starting to take lots of orders for them, but am having a hard time with figuring out how much to charge.

Is it best to charge by the dozen? What is a reasonable amount to charge for these sinful confections?! Im finding that it takes me about 1 hour, not counting freezer time, to make about 5 dozen. Does this seem reasonable?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!! icon_biggrin.gif

13 replies
MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 2:09am
post #2 of 14

The only time I ever sold any, charged $10 per dozen.

deb

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 2:19am
post #3 of 14

What are your costs? That will determine pricing.

Figure out your costs i.e. ingredients, packaging, utilities etc., add to that how much you want to make per hr, there's your price.

AngelaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelaM Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 2:27am
post #4 of 14

Can you believe how much this place manages to get for cake balls?

http://cakeballs.com/

WOW!

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 2:30am
post #5 of 14

at the market I charge .75 each, 4.25/6 and $8 for a dozen, its COSTS me .28 per ball icon_smile.gif HTH...

you have to remember, this is what people are will to pay in my area, and I dont do custom orders yes, for custom orders, it would cost more. Different packaging, more time.....icon_smile.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 2:38am
post #6 of 14

I need a good recipe for cake balls, I made mine too moist and the kids hated them. I carve so much I thought it would be nice not to throw it all away. Great if you can use the scraps and sell them. icon_smile.gif

jessmeyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessmeyer Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 2:41am
post #7 of 14

wow....$16 for 6!!! They're good, but I wouldn't say they're that good! My goodness!!!

Im using a box mix, so my breakdown is $2 mix, figure $2 for eggs and oil, $4 for bark chocolate, $2 for bakery box...all of this will make about 3 dozen...if you add in electric, labor, cleanup etc...I think that's fair...I would absolutley pay $10 for a dozen!

What do you think?

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 2:49am
post #8 of 14

Here's ALL you need to take into consideratoin:
1) cost of ingredients including shipping or gas + wear and tear on your vehicle to go to the store
2) cost of utilities used while making and decorating: electricity, gas, water.
3) how long it took you x how much you want to make per hour

If you know that, then you can figure out how much to charge for ANY cake.

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 3:39am
post #9 of 14

Yes $10 a dozen is what I sell them for also.

crabbywan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crabbywan Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:34pm
post #10 of 14

I charge $15.00 per dozen. If they order more than 3 dozen I give them a price break of $12.00 per dozen. I've looked at the "competition" and based on my socio-economic area I feel my prices are reasonable and compensate me for my expenses.

www.buythedozenbakery.com

crabbywan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crabbywan Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:47pm
post #11 of 14

I charge $15.00 per dozen. If they order more than 3 dozen I give them a price break of $12.00 per dozen. I've looked at the "competition" and based on my socio-economic area I feel my prices are reasonable and compensate me for my expenses.

www.buythedozenbakery.com

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 5:08pm
post #12 of 14

Crabbywan you cake balls are beautiful but they are bigger. I like that size but I could not find the right size box in time for Valentine's. But I agree I think that's a great price.

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:48pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaM

Can you believe how much this place manages to get for cake balls?

http://cakeballs.com/

WOW!

WOW! is right.
Those of you that sell them should print this out for when you have customers blaking at your price. lol

keflyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keflyn Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 6:33pm
post #14 of 14

the local bakery chain in my town sells them for $2 a ball. I thought it was a tad excessive myself, but they are new to the bakery, they are pretty, a tad bigger than mine, but that still seems a bit much. i believe they sell a dozen for $20. they are labeled cake truffles.
as for the taste, I don't know, I know how to make my own and I don't have money so I'm not that curious how they stand up

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%