Cake Boss + Another Or Just One?

Business By sweetartbakery Updated 1 Feb 2010 , 1:25pm by loriemoms

sweetartbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetartbakery Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 1:41am
post #1 of 20

I was set on buying cake boss (I'm in the process of buying commercial property to build on now), but I just went to the site to order and it seems like it's more for the home baker...

anyone with shops use it? I'm afraid I'll need something else and I don't want to be double entering stuff, OR is it better to run cake boss and something like quick books. although I am mostly organized and understand business in general, accounting scares me. I handled the home baker portion with out problem, but scale-up will (hopefully) have a lot more at stake.

any advice welcomed icon_smile.gif

thanks!
christy

19 replies
snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 1:44am
post #2 of 20

quick books will do everything you need. You need to set up a couple of spread sheets for cost and easy peasy.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 2:07am
post #3 of 20

I have a shop and use cake boss, I love it. It does everything and is so easy to use. Great customer support, too. What are you unsure about with respect to the program in a commercial setting?

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 2:32am
post #4 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycakesnj

I have a shop and use , I love it. It does everything and is so easy to use. Great customer support, too. What are you unsure about with respect to the program in a commercial setting?

I would be curious too as quickbooks works fine for weddings and large orders, but its just not worth the little things.

sweetartbakery Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 12:37pm
post #5 of 20

I guess I was hoping to find something that does everything (I know, wishful thinking). Inventory, sale slips for small retail items and big custom orders, price calculation....

I like that cake boss says that it can keep and track your recipes and figure cost etc... is it equally as good for accounting as quick books? quick books seems awesome for the $$ aspect, but cake boss seems awesome for the actual cake aspect.

I'm still torn! more info please!!! icon_smile.gif

pattycakesnj Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 7:18pm
post #6 of 20

I don't know anything about Quick books but the woman I share my shop with is a former banker who uses Quick Books and after looking at my Cake Boss and how it works is going to order it. She says Quick books is too much work to keep up with

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 9:24pm
post #7 of 20

Analogy:

quickbooks = a brand new house that has yet to have any finish painting, or carpeting or furnitue put it. Fully "functional" but not at all personalized.

cakeboss = a home where an interior designer has already done all the work to make it fully move in ready.

now--- which would you rather deal with?

loriemoms Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 9:38pm
post #8 of 20

my problem is I give my quickbooks file to my accoutant at the end of the year and he takes care of everything for taxes. Cake Boss doesnt have a quickbooks export function like some other bakery software. Wish it did and I would give up quckbooks! How do you solve that problem?

pattycakesnj Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 11:44pm
post #9 of 20

Great analogy Doug.
Cake Boss has a function where it breaks down expenses, profits etc. just print out the worksheets and hand it to your accountant.

sweetartbakery Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 11:55pm
post #10 of 20

ok, so now I'm back on the cake boss wagon! anyone want to change my mind? I'll probably order in the next week or so. thanks for all your opinions, as always!

loriemoms Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 1:56am
post #11 of 20
Quote:

Great analogy Doug.
has a function where it breaks down expenses, profits etc. just print out the worksheets and hand it to your accountant.

My accountant is really good at "massaging" our stuff. How detailed are these reports?

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 2:30am
post #12 of 20
Quote:

Great analogy Doug.
has a function where it breaks down expenses, profits etc. just print out the worksheets and hand it to your accountant.

All reports are also exportable to a variety of formats including Excel and PDF.

sweetartbakery Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 3:11am
post #13 of 20

sold! I'm buying it!

loriemoms Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 12:49pm
post #14 of 20

I am still curious on how detailed the reports are. Especailly since we have to file property tax and not everything falls under this..

snarkybaker Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 6:50pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

Quote:

I have a shop and use , I love it. It does everything and is so easy to use. Great customer support, too. What are you unsure about with respect to the program in a commercial setting?

I would be curious too as quickbooks works fine for weddings and large orders, but its just not worth the little things.

Set up your retail store as a customer, and at the end of every day,invoice the store you register total.

sweetartbakery Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 8:19pm
post #16 of 20

snarkybaker- what exactly do you mean. can you elaborate?

loriemoms Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 9:33pm
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkybaker

Quote:

Quote:

Set up your retail store as a customer, and at the end of every day,invoice the store you register total.

We were thinking of doing exactly that....just pull the register totals of the day and putting them as a sales. I looked at Cake Boss's web site and even they don't recommend it for a retail store. (Love thier FAQ list!)

snarkybaker Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 9:42pm
post #18 of 20

Quickbooks is set up on an invoicing system so it is more geared toward small businesses like a plumber, so it's cumbersome for selling someone a very small item, like a cupcake. So instead of invoicing every sale, you create a customer in quickbook " Retail" or some such, and invoice them once a day, or once a week, for the toal sales for the day. It keeps the bookeeping straight in quickbooks, which most accountants like, and is easier than running several systems.

snarkybaker Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 11:41pm
post #19 of 20
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkybaker

Quote:

Quote:

We were thinking of doing exactly that....just pull the register totals of the day and putting them as a sales. I looked at 's web site and even they don't recommend it for a retail store. (Love thier FAQ list!)

Our whole business is run on MACs and there was no cash register software that was Mac specific, so we had one written for us, based on File Maker Pro, and it automatically exports to quickbooks at the end of everyday without so much as a button punch. Accountant happy, state government happy, me happy.

Wouldn't change it for anything, even though our system did cost us over $5,000 ( 2 registers plus credit card processing and a touch screen mac)

loriemoms Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 1:25pm
post #20 of 20

Actually 5k isnt too bad. I checked out a few bakery specific softwares and they ran that and more!! (they all offer quickbook importing) One of them wanted 700 bucks just for the quickbook add in!! Its crazy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%