Tips For Torting Large Rectangular Cake?

Decorating By tsal Updated 30 Jan 2010 , 1:22am by Renaejrk

tsal Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 1:08am
post #1 of 2

Hi,

I'm great with circular cakes and with square cakes, but rectangles seem to be my weakness!

I'm torting a large rectangular cake tomorrow and the last time I attempted this it was a disaster. I have the Wilton cake saw but even with that, the last time I tried it, I ended up with an unevenly torted cake.

Any tips, suggestions would be most welcome!

1 reply
Renaejrk Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 1:22am
post #2 of 2

I have the perfect one - I can't cut a straight line to save my life! NO KIDDING!! So here's what I do:

Line up toothpicks stuck in and around the cake so you have them level all the way around - you can use just a few or a lot depending on what you want. Get dental floss (just the plain kind) and pull a long string of it. Line the dental floss up with the toothpicks (just above them) and criss cross the floss in the "front" of the cake and keep pulling them. The floss will start cutting the cake - keep going until the floss has cut all the way through the cake - generally it pulls itself to the middle of the cake and you just kind of pull it out. I hope this was understandable - if not PM me and maybe I can explain more! I wish I had a pic of me doing this. It's great and makes it easy to get a nice even torte!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%