Smbc

Decorating By EvMarie Updated 30 Jan 2010 , 11:30pm by EvMarie

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 11:22pm
post #1 of 9

I'm new to SMBC. I made it for the first time yesterday for my Mom's b-day cake. I used Martha Stewarts recipe.

(1) Are there any food safety issues?

(2) Anyone ever tried Splenda in it?

Thanks!

8 replies
_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 11:34pm
post #2 of 9

If you have cooked your egg whites properly there is nothing to be concerned with. Treat it like food that is made with eggs.

No, I'm afraid Splenda would be disgusting and would not work.

EvMarie Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 12:05am
post #3 of 9

Love the avatar! Freaky....

Anyway, I guess why I'm asking about food safety is because I'm not sure how you know if you cooked them properly. I did what the book said exactly & the check points provided were all met. I think I'm just paranoid...

The book said the mixture should be completely smooth in between my fingers. And, it should be warm. It was both. I had my stove top setting on a few notches below medium heat. When I lifted my bowl, steam came out of the pot...but what was not boiling. Does this sound right?

Bummer about the Splenda - my grandpa is diabetic. I thought it would be a nice alternative to berry pies and sugar free jello! Have you tried Splenda in the recipe? I know it's not the best tasting...but for him, it may be a decent taste.

MJoycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJoycake Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 12:28am
post #4 of 9

I can't speak to the Splenda...I have no idea how it would work or taste. When I make SMBC (like I did today - yum!) I use a thermometer in the egg/sugar mixture as it's heating - they say to go to 160, but I usually take it to 163-165. I use a thermometer meant for meats in the oven - once it's been on the heat for a few minutes, I hold the probe into the mix and make sure it's in the middle (not touching the metal bowl) while I'm whisking. I feel much more comfortable knowing the exact temperature. Hope that helps.

_Jamie_ Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 1:36am
post #5 of 9

I'm not a scientist or expert by any means. But, the sugar and the egg whites form a thick syrupy emulsion that when beaten long an hard hold nice stiff peaks. Splenda just plain will not work. icon_sad.gif Gotta try something else for him.

I don't know much about Martha Stewart recipes, I stick to one, it's from here called The Well Dress Cake SMBC with variations. It's very simple to follow. Here it is: icon_smile.gif http://cakecentral.com/recipes/5453/the-well-dressed-cake-swiss-meringue-buttercream-with-variations

_Jamie_ Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 1:37am
post #6 of 9

I cook them to 160F. I use a thermometer while I am cooking it so I always know.

Abbiedal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Abbiedal Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 1:49am
post #7 of 9

sorry this is off topic but that avatar is definitely freaky!!!

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 2:14am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbiedal

sorry this is off topic but that avatar is definitely freaky!!!

I agree! I had to do a double take! Hilarious!!

EvMarie Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 11:30pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks everyone!

I've been wanting to buy a candy thermometer. Maybe that'll work. I'll check it out. That's a great tip.

Big bummer about the splenda. My g-pa doesn't have a severe case of diabetes....so maybe regular recipe with one of those low sugar box mixes will be good. I could fill it with some sugar free pudding. I'm sure he could skip bread one day for a piece of cake later!

I appreciate all the input!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%