6-Tier Cake

Decorating By Jealena Updated 30 Jan 2010 , 11:14pm by Mug-a-Bug

Jealena Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 11:15pm
post #1 of 25

I have to make a 6 tier wedding cake, 6-8-10-12-14-16 round, I planned to assemble the bottom 3 layers with dowels/ then the 8 & 10" layers, and just put the topper on when I get to the reception hall. Is there a dowel long enough to go through the whole cake? Should I do that? Normally I would put one through the entire cake, or doesn't it need one long one since I am putting it together in segments? What is the best way to do this? Any help would be GREAT.... icon_smile.gif

24 replies
_Jamie_ Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 11:18pm
post #2 of 25

I consider myself somewhat of an expert on these now...((ahem)) (patting myself on the back) icon_biggrin.gif Ok...self promoting over.

Firstly, and don't let ANYONE tell you any differently. In fact I'm going to begin and end with this in case someone tries to tell you different....then I'll be back for more advice.

SPS. You. Must. Have. This. Go to How Do I forum, look up SPS instructions by Leahs.

_Jamie_ Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 11:23pm
post #3 of 25

Easiest way....assemble it in two or three sections. Last time, I put the 16 and 14 together, the 12, 10, and 8, and had the six by itself. Put it all together once I got there. Perfectly even, no leaning, no center dowel, no crappy pieces of wood anywhere.

How anyone relies on so many little sticks all possibly cut slightly uneven to hold up a massive tower such as these cakes, is beyond me.

tarheelgirl Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 11:37pm
post #4 of 25

I 2nd that!! SPS all the way!!

BTW, Jamie your avatar is hilarious!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

_Jamie_ Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 11:38pm
post #5 of 25

Yeah--I saw that somewhere and just started laughing. Had to have it!

Jealena Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 11:42pm
post #6 of 25

Thanks soooo much, I just read those instructions and that definitely is the way to go for me. I couldn't imagine the cake not moving or leaning with just the dowels in it, or having it get crooked or something. Perfect, I will get the sps system, any suggestions for best place to get them??? icon_smile.gif

prterrell Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 11:42pm
post #7 of 25

Absolutely. SPS. It's the best.

Jamie, I'm not sure whether to laugh or scream and run away!

_Jamie_ Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 11:43pm
post #8 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

Absolutely. SPS. It's the best.

Jamie, I'm not sure whether to laugh or scream and run away!




Ding ding ding! party.gifThat's what I was going for! icon_lol.gifdunce.gif

_Jamie_ Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 11:45pm
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jealena

Thanks soooo much, I just read those instructions and that definitely is the way to go for me. I couldn't imagine the cake not moving or leaning with just the dowels in it, or having it get crooked or something. Perfect, I will get the sps system, any suggestions for best place to get them??? icon_smile.gif




I order them from [mod edited for content] a lot, from Oasis, from Global Sugar Art. Cost is relatively the same across the board. I would love to say I order exclusively from GSA, but they have been out of stock on stuff I wanted the last two times. icon_sad.gifmod edited for content.)

Oh, and the spaces between the letters...necessary. Just put them back together.

Jealena Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 11:54pm
post #10 of 25

Thanks you guys, always get the answers I need....you never let me down.... icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

loriemoms Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 12:02am
post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jamie_

I consider myself somewhat of an expert on these now...((ahem)) (patting myself on the back) icon_biggrin.gif Ok...self promoting over.

Firstly, and don't let ANYONE tell you any differently. In fact I'm going to begin and end with this in case someone tries to tell you different....then I'll be back for more advice.

SPS. You. Must. Have. This. Go to How Do I forum, look up SPS instructions by Leahs.




I agree with both of your posts! You can SIT on SPS. Try doing that with a bunch of wooden dowels! Why anyone trusts those is beyond me....and the person cutting the cake WILL THANK YOU.

I LOVE your pic! hahahahaha!

kiwigal81 Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 12:17am
post #12 of 25

I'm sorry Jamie, I can't look at you (turns away, shielding eyes from the hooorror....)

_Jamie_ Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 12:33am
post #13 of 25

Hee hee.

Renaejrk Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 12:50am
post #14 of 25

Holy crap Jamie! That totally freaked me out! ROFL!

newmansmom2004 Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 1:02am
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jamie_

Hee hee.




OMYGAWD!!!! OK, Jamie, you're gonna have to change that or I can't come to the forums anymore. I saw that and immediately started laughing so hard I cried and my husband's looking at me like I've just popped out an alien baby or something. So I call him over to look at the picture and HE starts laughing and says,"'Is that really HER?" I'm in agony here laughing so hard!!!

newmansmom2004 Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 1:06am
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

I agree with both of your posts! You can SIT on SPS. Try doing that with a bunch of wooden dowels!





Um...OWCH! icon_redface.gif

tarheelgirl Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 1:14am
post #17 of 25

I ordered from Oasis 1 time! Their shipping sucks. It took over 2 weeks to receive my items. They did not arrive in time for my cake order! GSA has never let me down. I ordered a few items this past Sunday and they were here on Tuesday! I love Sugarcraft too.

_Jamie_ Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 1:31am
post #18 of 25

OMG newmans. I wasn't expecting that. Perfect! ROFL myself now!

leah_s Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 3:19am
post #19 of 25

Yes, SPS every cake, every time, but absolutely, positively for big cakes like that. In the past Oasis had shipping problems, but they *promised* they had solved the problem. icon_sad.gif

tarheelgirl Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 2:34pm
post #20 of 25

I may have to give Oasis another try. They have really good pricing on their SPS.

Mug-a-Bug Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:07pm
post #21 of 25

icon_surprised.gif CC is probably going to lynch me for this....... but I HATE HATE HATE SPS. I just made my first 5 tier wedding cake and used SPS on the very bottom cake. I iced my cake to the perfect height and when I pushed it into the cake it blew the sides out! icon_cry.gif It is nearly impossible to get your cake the right height. I wouldn't use SPS again unless I was going to plan on having a ribbon to hide the giant gap that I would have between the tiers. Good luck whatever you decide to do. If you do use SPS, I recommend doing a practice cake to get used to it. thumbs_up.gif

_Jamie_ Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 6:57pm
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mug-a-Bug

icon_surprised.gif CC is probably going to lynch me for this....... but I HATE HATE HATE SPS. I just made my first 5 tier wedding cake and used SPS on the very bottom cake. I iced my cake to the perfect height and when I pushed it into the cake it blew the sides out! icon_cry.gif It is nearly impossible to get your cake the right height. I wouldn't use SPS again unless I was going to plan on having a ribbon to hide the giant gap that I would have between the tiers. Good luck whatever you decide to do. If you do use SPS, I recommend doing a practice cake to get used to it. thumbs_up.gif




SPS is incredibly easy to use, and if it ever fails, I'm sorry to say please don't take this wrong way, it will be due to operator error. icon_sad.gif If it blew your sides out, you pushed to hard too fast. If the sides blew out, there was something wrong with your assembly with the cake. icon_sad.gif I absolutely recommend practicing first. It is not hard at all to get to the height requirement and never ever need to hide anything with a border. Need a good ruler, and need to take your time. I will never trust thousand dollar cakes to anything other than SPS ever. It's worth it in the end. icon_smile.gif

loriemoms Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 9:44pm
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

I agree with both of your posts! You can SIT on SPS. Try doing that with a bunch of wooden dowels!




Um...OWCH! icon_redface.gif




hahahaha! never thought of um, that! hahaha!

I have numerious SPS stories...this morning was another success story. We had 5-6 inches of snow last night followed by a bunch of freezing rain.sleet, etc. The roads are full of big ice chunks and digs and just a rocky, funky ride. Had to deliver a 3 tier wedding cake, with the van rocking and rolling all the way there. No problems. DO THAT with your freakin dowels!!!

If you have a biz license, you can order directly from Bakery Crafts for a lot less money....

loriemoms Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 9:46pm
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mug-a-Bug

icon_surprised.gif CC is probably going to lynch me for this....... but I HATE HATE HATE SPS. I just made my first 5 tier wedding cake and used SPS on the very bottom cake. I iced my cake to the perfect height and when I pushed it into the cake it blew the sides out! icon_cry.gif It is nearly impossible to get your cake the right height. I wouldn't use SPS again unless I was going to plan on having a ribbon to hide the giant gap that I would have between the tiers. Good luck whatever you decide to do. If you do use SPS, I recommend doing a practice cake to get used to it. thumbs_up.gif




It sounds like your dowels were too short and you were trying to push the plate in beyond the top...so the air in the cake forced out to the sides. I suggest you use a measuring device first, and cut your dowels from the 8 inch long dowels they sell, instead of using the 4 inch long ones...

Mug-a-Bug Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 11:14pm
post #25 of 25

Yeah, I think if ever use it again I will def cut my own posts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%