Need Help On This For Tonight-Whats The Best Way To 'paint'

Decorating By adventuregal Updated 31 Jan 2010 , 1:24pm by prterrell

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 9:48pm
post #1 of 9

ok so I found this cake in the galleries-I had originally wanted to do an edible image, but no bakery will do them for me around here and so I'm thinking of just painting on the details on the front. What substance do you all use when you have to do this? It will be on buttercream, not fondant so I'm hoping to use something that will have clean lines and not bleed at all. Would you use the coloring for frosting or is there something else I'm not aware of thats better? Thanks all!
LL

8 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 9:57pm
post #2 of 9

Painting on BC is hard to do as it wants to move on you. Thin your gel color withlemon or vanila extract or vodka to a painting consistency and apply it with a light touch. It you aren't using a crusting BC it will never work.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 9:58pm
post #3 of 9

i believe some walmarts/ big stores will do edible images in their bakery for you.

if you are painting, use the gel colours, slightly thinned down with alcohol (like vodka, lots of people like everclear i think it is called? or lemon extract).

im not sure how neat it stays on bc though. it might be worth making a gumpaste/ fondant plaque to paint the lable on?
xx

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 10:06pm
post #4 of 9

I agree with brincess_b.....the color will bleed into the butter cream, I would make a plaque out of fondant/gumpaste and paint your design on that. Then just attach it to the cake.

Roll it out real thin so that it will appear to be a "label"

If you don't want to use gel colors/alcohol, you could use edible markers instead

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 10:47pm
post #6 of 9

thanks for the responses! I was planning on Indydebi's crusting buttercream-do you think that would work? I may just roll out some MMF-I just haven't worked with that much so I'm always hesitant-I always get my buttercream to look like fondant with the viva method (love it!)

adventuregal Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 10:49pm
post #7 of 9

^^ I guess if the edible marker, gel colors didn't look great I could cover it with a plaque of mmf icon_smile.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 9:59am
post #8 of 9

thumbs_up.gif i like your polan with the back up plan in place! sure it will work out fine anyway. show us a pic afterwards!
xx

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 1:24pm
post #9 of 9

I would hand-pipe it using tip 00.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%