How Long Do Sugar Cookies Stay Fresh?

Baking By CAKE_NEWBIE Updated 1 Feb 2010 , 8:47pm by revel

CAKE_NEWBIE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKE_NEWBIE Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 7:45pm
post #1 of 7

hi all im new here and i am planning on making some sugar cookies for my son'd birthday in a week. I plan on putting a fondant overlay on top of the cookies. I wanted to know if i made the cookies now would they last for the party in a week. and how should i store them in order for them to be fresh for the party. Im jst trying to do as much ahead of time so im not swamped at the last minute trying to get everything done

6 replies
Shortycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shortycake Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 8:08pm
post #2 of 7

Absolutely they'll be good for the party! Layer them in a lidded container with parchment between each layer so the butter doesn't bleed into the other cookies or on the fondant. You can keep them out at room temp or put them in the fridge. I'd advise against freezing though. Could ruin the decorating.

liha21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liha21 Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 8:32pm
post #3 of 7

That is a great question. i was wanting to make valentine cookies and was wondering how far in advance i could make them. anyone know how long they are good for?

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 11:18pm
post #4 of 7

there are lots of past threads on this topic, so if you do a quick search you'll find a ton of information and lots of opinions (and experiment results)....

I can tell you what I do. I use the NFSC (recipe on this site), and I don't like to let more than 3-5 days go by between baking and delivering. If I'm sending them somewhere, I like to have less than 7 days before they reach their destination and will be eaten.

that said, however, a lot of people allow more time with no problem. I'm very food safety conscious, and I have a very good sense of taste and smell, so I like things to be very fresh. here's a recent thread on just that topic (edited to add link) http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-660400-fresh.html

Also, you should know that many people have frozen cookies, both after baking/before decorating and after decorating with good results. Here's one thread about freezing to get you started...
freezing cookies
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-633905.html

hope that helps!

Bonnie

cakedesigner59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedesigner59 Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 11:37pm
post #5 of 7

Just my personal opinion, mind you, but I think they lose their fresh taste after only 3 days. I usually bake ahead, and thaw and decorate a minimum of two days prior to delivery.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 11:47pm
post #6 of 7

NFSC stay fresh for more than a week if wrapped up or put in a cello bag

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 8:47pm
post #7 of 7

When i do cookies i usually make the dough, cut out my designs then freeze them. This can be done anytime.The day before they are needed,I bake(they usually need a little extra baking time from frozen) and decorate them, let them dry over night. Package the next morning.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%