I'm Gonna Do It!!!

Business By bemshelt Updated 29 Jan 2010 , 9:35pm by sugarandslice

bemshelt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bemshelt Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 4:45pm
post #1 of 8

So I'm gonna do it!! I've found a great location and I'm gonna take the plunge. I'm gonna open my very own bakery!!! I need help though. How did you guys figure everything out?? Tell me from the beginning how you got started! I'm waist deep right now and I need some help getting my foot in the door. What machines would you hate life without? What was a waste of money for you? How did you finance in the beginning? Lend me your knowledge!! xoxo Liz

7 replies
CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 5:03pm
post #2 of 8

I researched everything in my city.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 8

a lot of stuff will be required by the people who liscence you - contact them and get that sorted first, it probably coveres a lot of the basic equipment anyway. you dont want to invest in brand A only to find it actually doesnt meet the requirements, so you then reinvest in brand B.

a lot of it will be common sense - i assume you decorate else where just now, what would make your life easier?
what do you see in the tv shows that you want?

also, what business expeience do you have? can you get some? seminars, classes, courses, books - you will need it.
good luck icon_smile.gif
xx

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 8:31pm
post #4 of 8

I posted this in another thread. There are most likely things I have forgotten/repressed, so you other bakery/storefront owners chime in.

These are just overhead costs, not even counting any baking ingredients.

monthly costs (some of these are once a year, or even just 2-3 times a year):

rent, insurance, loan payments, electricity, telephone (land-line + cell), broadband, website costs, cleaning supplies (floor cleaner, glass cleaner, universal cleaner, paper towels, dish soap, hand soap, hand disinfectant, dish detergent/drying detergent for dishwasher, toilet paper, toilet cleaner, mop, broom, dustpan, laundry detergent), credit card machine + fees, company credit card fees, assorted bank fees, sidewalk salt, alarm system costs, accountant, garbage collection, office supplies (paper, pens, paper clips, staples, post-its, scissors, mat knife, paper rolls for cash register/credit card machine, ribbon for cake/pastry boxes, stamps, envelopes), edible image ink cartridges/sheets, packaging (cake/pastry boxes in different sizes, bread bags etc), cost for yearly HD inspection, garbage bags, advertising/marketing (business cards, brochures, website), bridal show fees, fees from city planning office for sidewalk signs, telephone catalog ad, take-away cups/lids for coffee drinks, light bulbs

basic start-up:

purchase of premises, renovating costs (plumber, electrician, carpenters etc), oven, telephones, refrigerators (3 are required); including a special 'dry' fridge for fondant cakes, freezers (2 are required), 2 hand sinks, cash register, credit card machine, double sink, commercial dishwasher, commercial espresso machine (2-group), commercial coffee mill, take-away cups/lids for coffee drinks, 20 qt standing mixer, safe, broadband, locksmith, alarm system, computer, printer, scanner, edible image software and printer, website costs, digital camera, phones (both cell and regular), office supplies (stapler, staples, paper, pens, paper rolls for register/CC machine, ribbon for cake/pastry boxes, stamps, envelopes), food handlers license (for me and all employees), cost for HD inspection, display cases, trays to display product, SS work bench (2½ meters long, special order), trash cans, garbage bags, recycling bins, marketing materials (business cards, brochures, magazine ads, website), work chairs (pony chairs, 2), counters, shelves, AC unit, rolling rack, microwave, hot plate, sidewalk signs (plus fees from planning office), signs on building (plus fees from planning office), flags, packaging (cake/pastry boxes in different sizes, bread bags, etc), telephone catalog, all different kinds of bowls and spatulas etc, hand mixer, storage containers, food processor, lighting fixtures, light bulbs, telephone catalog ad,

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 8:33pm
post #5 of 8

Go get a job in a bakery.

Mike

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 8:53pm
post #6 of 8

I think this was said a few weeks ago on another post but here goes..."If you need to ask where to start to open up a business then maybe you need to research it alot more before you run out and open up....It is very expensive and is NOT a 9-5 job....You should also get some sort of experience in a bakery like Mike said....

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 9:12pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

I posted this in another thread. There are most likely things I have forgotten/repressed, so you other bakery/storefront owners chime in.

These are just overhead costs, not even counting any baking ingredients.

monthly costs (some of these are once a year, or even just 2-3 times a year): etc,

Thank you Mensch for that list! Just getting ready to move from my home business of five years to a commercial space and I read your list to see if I missed anything!! (a lot of it was paying for from my home business so far it doesnt seem to be a really huge jump...things like workmans comp insurance and such were little surprises)

to the original poster: I agree, if you are asking what is involved in starting your own shop, then you aren't ready. Work at a bakery somewhere, or if you can, do it from home. And see if you can stand the 100 plus hours a week, the OMG where did all my money go, talking to pain the a**s's when you havent had sleep in a month, and living with buttercream in your hair ALL THE TIME. If you still love it, then go and invest the 1000's and I mean THOUSANDS of dollars it cost to start up a bakery.
(and yes, even in the tired state I am constantly in, I still love it)

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 9:35pm
post #8 of 8

Find a small business course at a local night school.
I did an 8-week course and it was invaluable.

Do a complete business plan and have it looked over by a business advisor.

Get an accountant with lots of experience of small business.

Don't rush in.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%