Sparkle, Mystic, Crystal Dusts?

Decorating By MacsMom Updated 1 Feb 2010 , 6:56pm by Win

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 4:42pm
post #1 of 14

Are the mystic dusts, sparkle dusts, and crystal dusts basically the same product?

I use luster dust and sparkle dust regularly, but when I was searching for brighter colors I came across Crystal dust and Mystic dust.

Can they be used like sparkle dust? Or painted on with vodka?

TIA!

13 replies
MacsMom Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 4:28pm
post #2 of 14

bump

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 7:15pm
post #3 of 14

bump

Inquiring minds want to know. icon_smile.gif

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 2:36pm
post #4 of 14

Mystic dust is very sparkly, you just sprinkle it on, it is like pixie dust! It's quite pretty!!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 2:59pm
post #5 of 14

I use mystic dust to get a very sparkly look to the cake. It is more of a glitter effect. Here's a cake on which you can really see the look it provides:
[url]
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1257701[/url]

All the curly cuts and dots are covered in it as well as the entire cake sprinkled for effect.

HTH!

MacsMom Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:08pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

I use mystic dust to get a very sparkly look to the cake. It is more of a glitter effect. Here's a cake on which you can really see the look it provides:
[url]
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1257701[/url]

All the curly cuts and dots are covered in it as well as the entire cake sprinkled for effect.

HTH!

So would I likely have a difficult time with it if I wanted to brush several colors on one cake? For example, if I brushed a tier with blue mystic dust, then a heart shape red, would the mystic dust easily transfer making a red and blue mess?

I'm doing an Alice in Wonderland wedding cake and they want to keep bright colors for a cartoony feel - I was afraid I'd lose that if I used luster dust.

Your winter cake is amazing, BTW!

buttercuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercuppie Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:17pm
post #7 of 14

Is the Mystic dust edible...I wasn't 100% sure about Disco (I didn't think it was)...so if either are, that would help for a cake I have this weekend. And yes, the snowflake cake is adorable! icon_biggrin.gif

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:22pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

Here's a cake on which you can really see the look it provides

Win, this cake is beautiful! Please, PLEASE share the trick to getting the sparkle to show in your photograph icon_confused.gif .

I love the effect that the dusts give, but am never successful in capturing the look on pictures.

Thanks for your help!

(sorry, I don't mean to hijack the thread icon_wink.gif )

MacsMom Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 5:03pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

Win, this cake is beautiful! Please, PLEASE share the trick to getting the sparkle to show in your photograph icon_confused.gif .

I love the effect that the dusts give, but am never successful in capturing the look on pictures.

Thanks for your help!

(sorry, I don't mean to hijack the thread icon_wink.gif )

Good lighting with no flash icon_wink.gif

Win Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 5:16pm
post #10 of 14

Sorry, had to step away for a bit... icon_biggrin.gif

buttercuppe: Mystical dust is considered "Non-toxic" as I see it, most people don't eat their fondant anyway (a whole other forum topic icon_lol.gif ) so the amount consumed on a cake is negligible.

Quote:
Quote:

kjt wrote:
Win wrote:

Win, this cake is beautiful! Please, PLEASE share the trick to getting the sparkle to show in your photograph Confused .

Thanks for your help!

(sorry, I don't mean to hijack the thread Wink )

Good lighting with no flash Wink

Right! On that particular cake, I shot slightly upward vs straight on.
thumbs_up.gif

Quote:
Quote:

So would I likely have a difficult time with it if I wanted to brush several colors on one cake? For example, if I brushed a tier with blue mystic dust, then a heart shape red, would the mystic dust easily transfer making a red and blue mess?

I'm doing an Alice in Wonderland wedding cake and they want to keep bright colors for a cartoony feel - I was afraid I'd lose that if I used luster dust.

MacsMom: Mystical dust even feels more like glitter so I apply it by brushing the surface with some piping gel then, pinching a bit between my fingers, I sprinkle it all over the surface. So, if you already have a red-tinted fondant tier, enhancing it with red mystical dust would not interfere (I would think) with a blue tier. I would not say that it "brushes" on very well at all.

On the winter cake, I pre-cut the pieces, coated them with piping gel, laid them in a plastic container and then sprinkled on the mystical dust.

Does that make sense?

MacsMom Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 5:23pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

MacsMom: Mystical dust even feels more like glitter so I apply it by brushing the surface with some piping gel then, pinching a bit between my fingers, I sprinkle it all over the surface. So, if you already have a red-tinted fondant tier, enhancing it with red mystical dust would not interfere (I would think) with a blue tier. I would not say that it "brushes" on very well at all.

On the winter cake, I pre-cut the pieces, coated them with piping gel, laid them in a plastic container and then sprinkled on the mystical dust.

Does that make sense?

Gotcha! Thanks. I'd have to coat entire tiers with mystic dust - I'm thinking a pre-coat of thinned piping gel might not be suitable. I suppose I will likely use a combo of luster and mystic dust.

Wait! I have used sparkle dust before, do you know if Mystic dust is a larger grain size? I have dusted on sparkle dust before with a decent effect...

Does anyone know if Crystal dust is similar to either Sparkle dust or Mystic dust? Lol. This is driving me (and you) crazy, but I don't want to rack up $50 in dusts to do my own experimenting icon_redface.gif

Win Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 5:54pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Wait! I have used sparkle dust before, do you know if Mystic dust is a larger grain size? I have dusted on sparkle dust before with a decent effect...

Does anyone know if Crystal dust is similar to either Sparkle dust or Mystic dust? Lol. This is driving me (and you) crazy, but I don't want to rack up $50 in dusts to do my own experimenting icon_redface.gif

I'm here, I'm here! I ran down to my work room to get my jars for comparison. I have Crystal Colors "Crystalized Pearl" in Fairy Pink and I have Sunflower Sugar Art 'Sparkle Dust" in Snowflake. BOTH of those, I consider as fine as Pearl and Luster Dust. I also have the Mystical Dust in Snowsparkle (and marked as "large") It is the one you see on my holiday cake, my snow carriage and as accents on other cakes. It is the one that is truly like a glitter. I also have mystical dust in Fuschia Pink. It is by Confectionery Arts. It is a finer grain than the Snowsparkle (same maker.) Not sure if any of this helps, but that's the results of my research. icon_lol.gif

MacsMom Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 6:39pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

I'm here, I'm here! I ran down to my work room to get my jars for comparison. I have Crystal Colors "Crystalized Pearl" in Fairy Pink and I have Sunflower Sugar Art 'Sparkle Dust" in Snowflake. BOTH of those, I consider as fine as Pearl and Luster Dust. I also have the Mystical Dust in Snowsparkle (and marked as "large") It is the one you see on my holiday cake, my snow carriage and as accents on other cakes. It is the one that is truly like a glitter. I also have mystical dust in Fuschia Pink. It is by Confectionery Arts. It is a finer grain than the Snowsparkle (same maker.) Not sure if any of this helps, but that's the results of my research. icon_lol.gif

Awesome!! Thanks! So Mystic dust is likely the same size grain as Disco dust - lol - so many dusts... I am apparantly not the only one with issues finding a good red, everywhere I look it is "special order" - glad I have a month to get it!

Win Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 6:56pm
post #14 of 14

UNLESS it is marked "large." I think then it will be a larger grain like the snowsparkle. icon_confused.gif Good Luck! Can't wait to see the final cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%