Hmmm, Maybe Full Price Listing Is Not So Smart?!

Business By MikeRowesHunny Updated 29 Jan 2010 , 8:36pm by MikeRowesHunny

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 4:37pm
post #1 of 12

I took some advice on here to fully price my wedding cakes on my website. I have been showing the price per serving for each design, plus the total price of the actual cake pictured. I used to just list starting prices and then the average price a couple has spent with me. All my couples have been thrilled with the product delivered and service they received, and we nearly always had a face-to-face consult to discuss ideas/taste cakes etc. I had a 100% booking rate.

Since I started the comprehensive price listing, people are coming to the website, looking at the cakes and then that's it (I know as I have clicky stats installed on it). I have no consultations booked and just one wedding cake due in July that was booked last year (from my budget range).

I think being too informative is costing me business! Before I had a chance to sell me & the taste of my cakes, now I'm not even getting the chance to do that as I think people are getting sticker shock (even though my prices are in-line and competitive with other good custom bakers).

Should I go back to the basics? Thoughts please!

11 replies
CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 12

Yes! That is exactly why I don't price via email. They get stuck on a number and don't know what they're getting.

Of course we all know what happens when they order a cake for $200 and expect a grand creation. They have a wreck and wonder WHY???

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 4:49pm
post #3 of 12

If the basics were working for you, and the new changes haven't, absolutley.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 4:55pm
post #4 of 12

I tried that too, prices on my website. I noticed the number of calls and e-mails and orders were dramatically reduced as soon as I put up the prices. Took 'em down and the onsalught started again almost immediately.

Having prices up works for some, but not for others.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 5:00pm
post #5 of 12

I don't put specific pricing on my site, just for that reason. I think that most people are thinking "Costco quality" when they think of cake, since that's what they're probably used to. They need to see the quality along with the pricing in order to understand what they're going to get.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 5:55pm
post #6 of 12

That's it, all removed with just the basic 'wedding cakes range from $5 - $10 per serving depending on serving size, overall cake size & complexity of final design' left on there! Now we'll see if it helps!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 6:23pm
post #7 of 12

Hopefully, your business will start bouncing back. Let us know what happens!

mireillea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mireillea Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 6:39pm
post #8 of 12

I hope your flow of customers will soon start coming back. You make lovely cakes! I just recently 'discovered' your website!
I do state prices on my website to avoid the people that think they can come in for a bargain. But it works different for everyone.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 7:05pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mireillea

I hope your flow of customers will soon start coming back. You make lovely cakes! I just recently 'discovered' your website!
I do state prices on my website to avoid the people that think they can come in for a bargain. But it works different for everyone.

Thanks Mireillea! I love your new look website - very stylish and much clearer in structure thumbs_up.gif ! My basic prcing is still there, and I think people can tell I'm not bargain city either, but you know what some people are like icon_rolleyes.gif !

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 7:22pm
post #10 of 12

Interesting. Please let us know if things go back to normal if you remove the prices from your website.

mireillea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mireillea Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 7:42pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks for the compliment about the new website. I still work on it every evening for a half hour or so. Still have to upload the children's cakes.
But back to your website... would it be helpful to have a link on your homepage that takes the customer to a Dutch page. Although most Dutch people (attempt to) speak English, they can also be overwhelmed and scared of a completely English website. Not that you have to rewrite your entire site, just a simple overview in Dutch with the key points. I wouldn't mind helping you with the translation.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 8:36pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mireillea

Thanks for the compliment about the new website. I still work on it every evening for a half hour or so. Still have to upload the children's cakes.
But back to your website... would it be helpful to have a link on your homepage that takes the customer to a Dutch page. Although most Dutch people (attempt to) speak English, they can also be overwhelmed and scared of a completely English website. Not that you have to rewrite your entire site, just a simple overview in Dutch with the key points. I wouldn't mind helping you with the translation.

Most of my customers (90%) are Expats too, but it would be nice to branch out into the Dutch community more. My biggest hurdle is that my spoken & written Dutch leaves a lot to be desired icon_redface.gif , but I can read and understand (most) Dutch. Last year I worked with a few purely Dutch couples and we didn't have a problem with language, and the majority of my couples consists of an Expat, so again we have no problems.

Perhaps you can PM me your email address and we can look at doing a couple of simple pages in Dutch?

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%