Question About Coloring Fondant

Decorating By CAKE_NEWBIE Updated 29 Jan 2010 , 11:27pm by FlourPots

CAKE_NEWBIE Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 4:24pm
post #1 of 4

I have the white ready made wilton fondant and I want to color it. i did two test batches. one orange and one blue and it came out looking like of tye dyish with white streaks in it. should i add more color or a different type of color ( i used gel color) or just knead it more? It felt like it was getting dry the more I was kneading it. i dont know if i was doing something wrong.

Any help would be great

3 replies
JenniferMI Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 5:01pm
post #2 of 4

You have to knead it until the streaks disappear. I see that you are new... Wilton fondant doesn't taste very good, but it's ok for dummies and trims. I would only use it for dummies. There are way better tasting fondants on the market. This is just my professional opinion, others might think differently. When I use fondant, I want my cakes to taste as good as they look. Just thought I would tell you in case you didn't know icon_smile.gif Happy baking!

Jen icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 6:42pm
post #3 of 4

I think if you are new to fondant then Wilton's is a good consistancy to work with. There are some that don't like the taste, some that love it (my SIL will eat it straight from the box) and there are some that just don't care for the texture of it.

If you still have white in it keep kneading. Put a little crisco on your hands while you kneed it and that will help. Also when you aren't doing anything to it, keep it covered well.

FlourPots Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 11:27pm
post #4 of 4

I've never used Wilton's, but I like to microwave marshmallow fondant when coloring because it's much easier to blend after that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%