Free Online Advertising -Beware

Business By sweetcakes Updated 31 Jan 2010 , 5:14am by Mrs-A

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 4:09pm
post #1 of 5

I just found out that we were being billed, THROUGH MY PHONE BILL for what was supposedly a free ad on line. Unbeknownst to me! You might want to check your bill, im going back to paper bills because of this, since it slipped through with out us noticing it until our bill seemed a little high and we opened it up to see, I would have seen it straight away with a paper bill.

It was a free listing with the yellowpages online, but how they do it is they send you an email confirming it and as soon as you click on the email it upgrades you to a paid ad with out asking for your permission. What the heck!!! i think we have it sorted out now, but they are not nice to deal with.

4 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 5:02pm
post #2 of 5

That stinks, thanks for the warning.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 5:36pm
post #3 of 5

At my day job we get calls and stuff like that ALL the time! Once we got this letter to 'update' our listing and in the VERY small print it said that by updating the listing you will be charge $179 a year and there's a $250 cancellation - or something crazy like that.

CelebrationsbyLori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationsbyLori Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 5:02am
post #4 of 5

I had quite a runaround with yellowpages.com about trying to get off their call list. There were days they would call upwards of 8-10 times! They tried to tell me they were a division of AT&T, so I called AT&T and THEY ARE NOT!!! AT&T has dozens of complaints in their legal dept. that they can do very little about. The rep. from AT&T told me whatever you do don't talk to them, they will record you saying yes to any question and say you agreed to the charges. They advised me to immediatly hang up any time they call.
Lori

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 5:14am
post #5 of 5

i remember years ago (i work in an office) you would get some advertising fax and it said if you WERENT interested, print your name and tick the "decline" box and return fax.... only to get a $175 charge on your next fax bill because by responding they captured your details

i dont know how people do it - i cant even figure out my ipod and people can set up these IT scams by the click of a button

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%