Can Anyone Help Me? Please?

Decorating By marisanovy Updated 29 Jan 2010 , 9:26pm by doofusmongerbeep

marisanovy Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 3:13pm
post #1 of 7

I was watching Ace of Cakes last night, and saw that Duff used some kind of big plastic straws for support on his cake. I only know and use those darn wood dowels and they are sooooo hard to cut to size. And Duff just used scissors to cut those straws.

What are they called and where can I buy them? I need to get them desperately.

Thank you everyone!!! icon_smile.gif

6 replies
tootie0809 Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 3:24pm
post #2 of 7

I haven't seen that episode you are talking about, but if they are big, wide straws they are probably bubble tea straws. The really are great for supports! I've used them many times. You can find them in most Asian markets or grocery stores. If you don't have something like that around you, you can also order them online. They're super cheap too! icon_smile.gif

metria Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 3:26pm
post #3 of 7

lotsa people use bubble tea straws

V-dizzy Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 5:10pm
post #4 of 7

How much weight can they support? For instance, could you use them throughout all tiers of a 5-tier cake? or just in the upper tiers?

marisanovy Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 8:42pm
post #5 of 7

I live in a small town. The only places that I can buy any supply I can only find the wood ones.

Do you know any website? Or I can just look for bubble tea straws?


brincess_b Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 9:03pm
post #6 of 7

the straws work like any dowel. i have only done two tiered cakes, but i believe they will tackle anything the wooden ones can do!

try looking in chinese supermarkets, or else ebay.

doofusmongerbeep Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 9:26pm
post #7 of 7

You can get them on amazon too. Just type "bubble tea straws" in the search bar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%