How To Achieve A Shiny Finish?

Decorating By ofcourseitsKaren Updated 29 Jan 2010 , 4:49pm by love2makecakes

ofcourseitsKaren Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 3:58am
post #1 of 14

What is the (or your personal) best way to make fondant extra shiny and glossy? I want my finished cake to all be shiny.... not just smaller decorations like flowers.

I've read about steaming... but how would that work for an entire cake?
And what/how does confectioner's glaze work?

Thanks in advance for help icon_smile.gif

13 replies
Renaejrk Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 4:05am
post #2 of 14

For steaming a whole cake you would use a steamer, like for clothing. I haven't used a steamer, but I've seen them do it on Cake Boss. I haven't checked into confectioner's glaze, but I have used gum/tylose glue and painted most of my purse cake to make it shiny, though you have to work quickly or it gums up. Some use piping gel.

Marisky Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 4:09am
post #3 of 14

I've seen the steaming technique on Cake Boss and look forward to trying it. I make my own marshmallow fondant, though, and I'm curious to find out if steaming will work on it. I'm planning to try it this weekend and will post my results. I've also read that piping gel thinned with vodka creates a shine that won't dull.

nancyg Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 4:13am
post #4 of 14

Yes, steaming makes it very shiny. Just dont get too close or hold too long in one area You will see the shine coming and then move the steamer. I use a small clothing steamer

ofcourseitsKaren Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 4:58am
post #5 of 14

Thanks icon_smile.gif
I'm going to be using MMF. Hopefully, it holds up to steaming...

If anyone has done this with MMF, I'd love to know its outcome

Bluehue Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 5:18am
post #6 of 14

I use a piece of acertate and go around and around and around ..............
until i get the desired look.
Either that or i use one of my smoothers and with a little pressure - get the same effect.

Bluehue

Cakepro Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 5:20am
post #7 of 14

I use a handheld garment steamer frequently for making the cake shiny and sticky, so I can quickly stick on things like fondant dots and stripes and whatnot. The cake does not stay shiny. The fondant returns to a dull state within half a day or so, depending on how much humidity is in your environment.

For a gorgeous shine that lasts awhile, use a soft paintbrush and brush canola oil or Spray Pam (Original) on the cake. The surface stays so glossy and shiny that you can see reflections in it. It's gorgeous and does not affect the taste of the fondant at all.

sabre Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 5:24am
post #8 of 14

For a shiny effect, you can rub a small amount of Crisco onto the fondant surface.

madgeowens Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 5:36am
post #9 of 14

hey cakepro thanks for the great tip, I will try that.

FlourPots Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 5:50am
post #10 of 14
devorie Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 6:16am
post #11 of 14

I do the vodka thing. It stays shiny if you use enough - though you do run the risk of getting people drunk.

Cakepro Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 12:28pm
post #12 of 14

Vodka evaporates very quickly, and if you use too much, it corrodes the sugar in the fondant. I used to use vodka for cleaning up cornstarch before I discovered steam and spray Pam.

MommaBay Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 12:40pm
post #13 of 14

Cakepro - thanks for that great tip. If you had just fondant circles on a fondant covered cake that you wanted shiny, would you "paint" them with oil after applied to the cake? Just curious if the same technique would be used.

love2makecakes Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 4:49pm
post #14 of 14

Yes, you could just paint the things you want to be shiny.

Last week I wanted to try the steam thing... I had a cake with tons of details and cornstarch all over it. In the past I would have painted the entire cake with vodka, but I didnt want to take the time this time. So I used my iron with steamer on it and just waved that around the cake. it worked so good and inspired me to maybe go get one of those steamer things for use in just my cake kitchen.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%