Dumb Ri Question....but Worth A Shot, Right??

Baking By hollyncas Updated 1 Feb 2010 , 11:31pm by luv2bake6

hollyncas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyncas Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 3:21am
post #1 of 7

is there any way I can make royal icing without meringue powder? I just got an itch to bake v-day cookies and no meringue powder in the pantry! It's pouring down rain & 9pm and def not going to the store...Thanks!

6 replies
hollyncas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyncas Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 3:25am
post #2 of 7

I just looked on martha stewarts website and it says i can use 2 large egg whites to replace 5 tbsp meringue powder!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 3:29am
post #3 of 7

You can, as long as you don't have any worries about salmonella icon_biggrin.gif That's why most people use meringue powder, because raw egg is not always safe to eat.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 3:39am
post #4 of 7

i have taken toba garrets classes. she has you to make royal icing with egg whites. i think nick lodge does also.. i have so many famous peoples books.. that use egg whites for making royal icing.. hth

KATHIESKREATIONS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 4:20pm
post #5 of 7

I have always used 3 large egg whites at room temp, 1 Lb PS (sifted) & 1/2 tsp Cream of Tarter. I just recently started using the meringue powder.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 4:28pm
post #6 of 7

You can also make a glace instead. It taste better and doesn't get rock hard. I'm at work but I think it's just PS, milk, and corn syrup, check out the recipe section on cc

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 11:31pm
post #7 of 7

was gonna say that too! Glace is easy to make, no fancy ingredients, and no egg whites.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%