Gumpaste Roses

Business By saberger Updated 8 Feb 2010 , 5:27pm by saberger

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 3:12am
post #1 of 30

How much do you charge clients for gumpaste rose that you make yourself? I know about the cost of ingredients and my time, but I am curious as to what others do. Thanks for sharing!

29 replies
thecookieladycc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecookieladycc Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 4:14am
post #2 of 30

How ever much you feel like your time is worth.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 4:30am
post #3 of 30

Good question haven't made one to charge but they are very time consuming. I'm guessing maybe $5-6 dollars a rose????!!!! Wow is that cheap or too much?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 12:59pm
post #4 of 30

Well, the ones that you can get from catalogs are pretty pricey when you see how big they are (not very). I can make the quick roses pretty fast, but it would depend on how fast it takes you to make them. Figure out how many you can make per hour, then go from there. If you get faster it just means that you'll be getting paid more for the skill that you've developed. icon_smile.gif

saberger Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 1:08pm
post #5 of 30

that's the problem, I can't figure out how long it takes me since I go slowly. I don't want to overcharge just because I move slowly (with a little one hanging around me). I had figured $5 a rose too, but not sure if that is too much or what.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 1:20pm
post #6 of 30

If I need a lot I buy them.

I'm too slow and I feel like you....that it's not fair to charge the client for my time just because I'm slow and can't produce more then 2 an hr. icon_eek.gifstop laughing icon_lol.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 1:25pm
post #7 of 30

Pricey to buy them? No way. I buy them for about 90 cents and sell them for $3.50. I gave up making flower years ago, unless it's a particular flower that's hard to get. I had to make Bird of Paradise a few months ago.

costumeczar Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 1:30pm
post #8 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb_

just because I'm slow and can't produce more then 2 an hr. icon_eek.gifstop laughing icon_lol.gif

icon_lol.giftapedshut.gificon_lol.giftapedshut.gificon_lol.giftapedshut.gificon_lol.giftapedshut.gif

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 1:52pm
post #9 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Pricey to buy them? No way. I buy them for about 90 cents and sell them for $3.50. I gave up making flower years ago, unless it's a particular flower that's hard to get. I had to make Bird of Paradise a few months ago.

Where do you buy them for 90 cents?! I have never tried buying them before, but I don't enjoy making them.

leah_s Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 1:56pm
post #10 of 30

www.avalon deco .com

Say hi to David for me. Obviously, that is a case price. I keep white flowers of nearly every variety in stock and color as needed.

saberger Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 3:13pm
post #11 of 30

Does that mean $3.50 is an average price? How do you determine how many roses you will need around a tier? Sorry, this is the 1st time I have someone who may want them all around the tiers and I want to be prepared with a ballpark price.

Thanks!

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 4:20pm
post #12 of 30

I buy them too. Time is money. They're still handmade. They still look awesome.

Deb_ Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 3:13pm
post #13 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:

just because I'm slow and can't produce more then 2 an hr. icon_eek.gifstop laughing icon_lol.gif

icon_lol.giftapedshut.gificon_lol.giftapedshut.gificon_lol.giftapedshut.gificon_lol.giftapedshut.gif

Thanks friend icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gif

aej6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aej6 Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 3:54pm
post #14 of 30

Leah, you mentioned that you buy a lot of white ones at one time....may I ask how you color them?

costumeczar Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 6:32pm
post #15 of 30
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks friend icon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gif

Ha ha, I couldn't resist! If you hadn't written the "stop laughing" part I wouldn't have said anything, though icon_rolleyes.gif

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 7:23pm
post #16 of 30

I know a couple of different prices have been mentioned here, but no one has mentioned what size flowers you are talking about. That could make a big difference in price. How big are the .90 roses you charge 3.50 for? How big are the roses you are talking about charging 5-6 for? Just wondering - I was thinking this as I was reading the posts and saying to myself that one could be a 1-2" rose and one could be a 4" or so! lol Just curious!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 7:49pm
post #17 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by aej6

Leah, you mentioned that you buy a lot of white ones at one time....may I ask how you color them?

You can airbrush them, dust with petal dust or grated chalk, paint with icing color mixed with vodka, or dip into icing color mixed with vodka. If you're coloring homemade ones, obviously before you would paint or dip them you want to be sure they're totally dry so they hold their shape.

aej6 Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 9:49pm
post #18 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by aej6

You can airbrush them, dust with petal dust or grated chalk, paint with icing color mixed with vodka, or dip into icing color mixed with vodka. If you're coloring homemade ones, obviously before you would paint or dip them you want to be sure they're totally dry so they hold their shape.

Thanks!!

kiwigal81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwigal81 Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 10:10pm
post #19 of 30

Not meaning to hijack the your thread OP, but when some of you other posters say you are quite fast, how many can you do in an hour? I'm still on two....I'd love to know how many people can churn out! I'm on about those with individual petals, not the ribbon roses. Thanksicon_smile.gif

costumeczar Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 11:05pm
post #20 of 30

I can do about 6 with the individual petals per hour, and probably around 10-12 of the quick roses. I have to have my little assembly line set up, though.

Deb_ Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 2:36am
post #21 of 30
Quote:

I can do about 6 with the individual petals per hour, and probably around 10-12 of the quick roses. I have to have my little assembly line set up, though.

showoff tapedshut.gificon_lol.gif

aej6 Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 3:15am
post #22 of 30
Quote:

..what's the "quick rose"...??....would you share? 'Would love to do these well but can't seem to make them...mine come out beyond horrible....

tw1nkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tw1nkle Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 7:01am
post #23 of 30

This a fantastic tutorial which I found online, it demonstrates the rose using the quick rose cutters:

http://cakesbyfrancesca.com.au/videos/rosetutorial.wmv

This lady is a cakecentral member, so I hope she doesn't mind me posting this link icon_smile.gif

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 1:32pm
post #24 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeForte

I buy them too. Time is money. They're still handmade. They still look awesome.

Do you also get them from the same place posted above?

costumeczar Posted 31 Jan 2010 , 3:41pm
post #25 of 30
Quote:

Quote:

showoff tapedshut.gificon_lol.gif

Heee hee, I am a rose machine. Ironically, I get tired of cakes with white roses on them, but don't we all? I like the individual petal ones more, but the quick ones are passable for most purposes, so I use those the most. Because I'm lazy.

leah_s Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 12:51am
post #26 of 30

checking the price list:

formal rose, large, wired, 2", 81 cents

formal rose, extra large, unwired 2 7/8", 96 cent
same, wired, $1.01

XXL formal rose, wired, 3.5", $1.79

XXXL formal rose, wired 4.5", $2.63

I can not make them for these prices.

11cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
11cupcakes Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 1:39am
post #27 of 30

Good deal leah_s , thanks for sharing. I would not charge for each flower, just more per serving for a cake with a lot of flowers.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 2:50am
post #28 of 30

I'm working on a cake that needs 50 roses and I've gotten it down to a science...yup, individual petals (don't have the rose kit) and they are about an inch to two inches across. I can make about 12 in an hour. I decided to make them rather than buy then because this cake is a gift and I wanted to save some money and work on learning how to make gumpaste roses myself. I'm sure I'd pay for them for something that requires several times more of these flowers like a wedding cake.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:19pm
post #29 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwigal81

Not meaning to hijack the your thread OP, but when some of you other posters say you are quite fast, how many can you do in an hour? I'm still on two....I'd love to know how many people can churn out! I'm on about those with individual petals, not the ribbon roses. Thanksicon_smile.gif

I do mine in stages. I will do a few dozen of just the middle petals, put them off to the side, then the next day do the next row of petals etc. I always keep a bunch on hand, not per order. So I can churn out a few dozen in about two hours of total work. They are easier to do if you have the first layer dry.

I also buy them online from Caljava and wholesalesugarflowers if I have a last minute order and dont have time to make them. I never used avalon but have seen them at shows. They dont post prices, and havent had time to call them. SO dont know if they are cheaper or not, but wholesalesugarflowers is pretty cheap!

saberger Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 5:27pm
post #30 of 30

Wow! Thanks everyone for sharing about the roses. It certainly guides me on the right direction! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%