Rice Krispy Treats. Your Secrets.

Decorating By CAKEahuna Updated 4 Feb 2010 , 3:22am by kitty122000

CakeDiane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiane Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 2:07pm
post #31 of 41

That tutorial was great Kitty--thanks!!!

I use the pre-made RKT but how do you guys get the surface of your RKT shape to be smooth? When I put the fondant over it, it always seems to be a little bumpy. I usually put a thick layer of piping gel over it to stick the fondant on--but should I use something else? I think Cake Boss uses royal icing....

Lee9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee9 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 2:31pm
post #32 of 41

I do a layer of buttercream to smooth out RKT before covering with fondant.

kikibakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikibakes Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 7:21pm
post #33 of 41

Great tutorial!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 7:33pm
post #34 of 41

What a great thread!! Thanks for sharing! icon_biggrin.gif

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 7:58pm
post #35 of 41

Noahsmummy - I just looked up your lcm bar - it looks like the same thing as RKT - rice krispy treat!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 8:31pm
post #36 of 41

Okay...so some have said to scrunch the RKT up really good..Does that go for the same with the ready made? It seems to me that if I squish it really good it will crumble and lose it's shapability...I need to use this next week for a cake and I don't want to waste it...Also is RI better to coat it first so you don't see the bumps?

whit6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whit6 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 8:55pm
post #37 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheilabelle

When I use them, I crush the crispies up before mixing in the with the marshmallow. I also don't use any butter in the recipe. After you get your basic shape and them set up, you can then use a knife to carve them a little bit. This is what works for me. HIH

Iv never done it myself but I do remember someone from Food Network Challenge saying they put their cereal in a food processor for just a sec to get them nice and crushed. It helps them mold better. Iv only used RKT in one cake and i just used storebought premade

kitty122000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitty122000 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 9:06pm
post #38 of 41
Quote:
Quote:

Do you mean that you take 6 oz of candy clay and 6 oz of already made RK treats and mix them together???? or do you add the RK into the candy clay without first mixing them with marshmallow??

thanks for the compliments on the tutorial! I had a lot of fun making it!

I made the RKT's separate from the candy clay and then mixed them together once the RKT's had cooled down. so yes, 50% of each and mix them together. it doesnt look pretty but it works great, then you can use just candy clay on the outside to cover all of the RKT's and its much easier to smooth out the seams than using fondant. I cannot take credit for this idea though, I found it on another thread here: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-623004-pepe.html

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 9:23pm
post #39 of 41

On a cake challenge, one of the contestants was compacting her RKT's with a mallet.

Making your own is much less expensive and you can crush the Rice Krispies so that you won't have a very bumpy surface - it also makes them more stable, IMO. I don't use as much butter as the recipe calls for to make them more firm.

If I think people might actually eat it, I'll add butter flavoring and vanilla!

BUT, from now on I'm certainly going to do the 50?50 candy clay RKT's method! Thanks. I had forgotten about that Pepe tutorial, love it!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 2:15am
post #40 of 41

Question -- when making rice krispie treats for modeling purposes, do you leave out the butter? I've heard that's the thing to do but I haven't tried it.

kitty122000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitty122000 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 3:22am
post #41 of 41

I used the recipe on the inside of the box, which states margarine or butter. I chose margarine and it worked fine for me. I have heard others dont use it. I think its just a personal choice!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%