Question About Dark Colored Fondants.

Decorating By silentsunday Updated 29 Jan 2010 , 11:50pm by silentsunday

silentsunday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silentsunday Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 11:02pm
post #1 of 18

As soon as tax returns come in, my brother is paying for all my supplies to make his wedding cake. This is my gift to him. I've spent over a month researching everything I could. I'm new to fondant, though, so I'm going to get some Wilton's with a coupon and play with it to get a feel for it. I had planned on making my own fondant and coloring it, but one of the wedding colors is a dark purple color. I'm understanding that trying to get that color with pre-made might be difficult and could ruin the integrity of the fondant. I also understand that I have a pretty good chance of success by adding powdered color in with the powdered sugar during the process of making it. What I want to know involves staining. Will adding color during the process of making fondant eliminate the problem of staining mouths and teeth? If not, I'll have to break the news to my brother that he has to shell out more money for some Satin Ice.

17 replies
thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 11:20pm
post #2 of 18

Satin Ice does cost a little more but it tastes much better than Wilton and you can roll it thinner to use - so, though it costs more - you'll use less of it. You can also try making a single batch of MMF - adding the color before adding your icing sugar to see if you can get the color you're looking for. MMF is easy to make and inexpensive. It also tastes good and is easy to work with. You can also flavor it during the mixing process using Lorrane flavors if you want for a different flavor.

Debbie

grandmagrossman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmagrossman Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 11:22pm
post #3 of 18

I made T's MMF and it was a lot cheaper then buying premade fondant. Also colored it two different ways. For the dark pink I added the gel color to the melted marshmellows. Later I needed several colors, so I made white MMF. Then added the different colors to a few pieces. The color did not come off in my hands when rolling it out. I suggest you test a small piece first? Good luck to you.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 11:43pm
post #4 of 18

Please please do not use Wilton's fondant! It is one of the reasons people think all fondant is gross icon_smile.gif. It tastes like chemicals or something gone wrong, lol. Shell out a little more and get satinice, or make your own. I use Americolor gel colors on my fondant and it is fine, just add it in the liquid stage if you make it. If you do get Satinice you will have to spend time working it in but it will be fine!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 11:58pm
post #5 of 18

One way you could avoid staining of teeth would be to airbrush the color, not color the entire batch of fondant.

I just ordered 3 different types of fondant but haven't used them yet. I will tell you about the flavors though.

Satin Ice (I only bought colored)--tastes like very sweet buttercream

Fondx---not too keen on the taste. More like sweet marshmallows. I personally like a little flavor. I may try adding some flavor & see how it works. Shelf life 8 months. And the price is sooooo good.

ChocoPan--Bought the white chocolate. Tastes like white chocolate. And you're suppose to be able to roll it thinner & use 60% less. It has a longer shelf life---1 yr in an airtight container.

I am planning on doing a mixture of 1/2 Fondx & 1/2 ChocoPan. It'll cut the cost for sure & hopefully have a good flavor.

DO NOT. I repeat. DO NOT use Wilton. It's a dream to work w/ but a nigtmare to taste! Go grab a tea bag & suck on it---that's what it tastes like!

silentsunday Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 12:08am
post #6 of 18

This has all been very helpful. Thank you. Just to clarify, I was only planning on buying a small package of Wilton with a coupon to play with. lol. I would never put Wilton on a cake. I've done enough research to know it's pretty nasty. I might even chew on some just to see how bad it really is. But I have heard it's a nice medium to get an idea of what texture you're striving for when making homemade fondant. I like the idea of getting the ingredients and making a batch at home before deciding to buy. I hadn't thought of that. I think that's what I'll do. As for the pre-made, has anyone thought of adding LorAnn oils to them to see if that makes them taste even better? That might be nice, possibly make them taste like that Fondarific that everybody thinks tastes so good.

Renaejrk Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 12:15am
post #7 of 18

Good luck and have fun playing!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 12:18am
post #8 of 18

I've only ever used homemade fondant, but I use the lorann oils all the time and they really do add something to the fondant. They're not really an oil but they've got a really concentrated flavor, so it might be possible to knead them into premade and not end up with a looser texture than you want. I've heard that they don't help the taste of wilton though icon_biggrin.gif

I think dark purple will stain no matter whether it's homemade or bought already colored. Lots of people don't eat the fondant on a wedding cake, they peel it off or eat around it, so they're not too likely to end up stained from it. Kids will eat fondant but they like having weird-colored mouths.

Renaejrk Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 1:08am
post #9 of 18

I'm with Texas_Rose - If you want a dark color there are going to be some stain issues, but not many will eat very much of it - except for kids of course! The fondant I make gets eaten by about half the people served, the other half eat around it - I have used dark fondant though and it really hasn't been a major problem.

dandelion56602 Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 4:37am
post #10 of 18

Oh gosh, nothing helps the taste of Wilton fondant! I've tried! As for the texture of your homemade fondant----you'll want it softer than the final product unless you're using it right away. After it sits overnight it firms up. I would suggest using about 3/4 of the PS or until it's not sticking all over the place. Then knead in the rest of what you need after it rests. I discovered the amount called for just kept giving me too dry of a fondant. We all know different climates do change outcomes

silentsunday Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 10:28am
post #11 of 18

Well, that's kind of disappointing that dark colored fondant bleeds no matter what. I have this image in my head of over 100 people walking around with purple teeth. Kind of scares me. But, all I can do is explore all the avenues available to me and yeah, they'll probably just scrape it off anyway.
I had no idea fondant got firmer overnight. I just new that color deepens. What great advice. Thanks so much!
I'm going to use the Michelle Foster recipe on here. I'm worried, though, because of the dairy. Will it go bad? My cake will be sitting on a counter for a day, possibly 2.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 12:14pm
post #12 of 18

Fondant will firm up but it doesn't get hard on the cake. The moisture in the buttercream beneath it will keep it from that. Also, the color on premade fondant is fine. It's not like everyone will be chewing on a chunk of fondant - just a thin layer covering one side of their slice of cake. I've never had a complaint from anyone with either Satin Ice or MMF.

silentsunday Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 12:25pm
post #13 of 18

Awesome! But, hey I got another question here. So I guess candy colors are oil based. Would that make them better to blend into already made fondant? Has anyone done this? I know that adding color during the liquid stage of making fondant is a sure fire way to go, but just wondering if maybe the candy coloring might help when adding alot of color to pre-made is unavoidable?

SweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetArt Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 3:34pm
post #14 of 18

Oil based coloring is not concentrated enough. You need to use paste/gel colors. And Michelle Foster fondant will not go bad. It has a very little amount of dairy in it, and is almost all sugar, which is a preservative. That stuff will sit for months.

silentsunday Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 4:57pm
post #15 of 18

Wow! Thanks so much everybody! This has been such a tremendous help.

dandelion56602 Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 8:17pm
post #16 of 18

I LOVE michele's fondant!!!! I thought you were making marshmallow fondant. I've never had problem adding all but about 1 cup of PS in Michele's

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 8:34pm
post #17 of 18

I always use Michele's fondant. I use flavored non-dairy coffee creamers in place of the cream. Not because of the dairy issue. (sweetart is right, the sugar preserves it) But because it enhances the flavor.

And folks are right about Wilton. It tastes like bug spray.

silentsunday Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 11:50pm
post #18 of 18

Yeah, I've heard alot of positive things about MFF. Anything with butter in it can't be bad icon_wink.gif
Coffee creamer! How brilliant! That's exactly what I'll do.
And Holy Cow - I just realized Sweet Art as in Sweet Art here in Lincoln. I love your cakes!!! They're so beautiful. I must've been to your website at least a dozen times. If you come back and read this please please tell me if there's a bakery supply around here. Thanks so much guys!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%