Made My First Edible Gems!!!

Decorating By CakeInfatuation Updated 19 Dec 2011 , 7:42am by gscout73

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 6:19pm
post #31 of 52

I didn't count but I'd say I've got at least a couple hundred from each recipe. It depends on size and shape.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 30 Jan 2010 , 11:12pm
post #32 of 52

I'll have you know you inspired me to buy isomalt today at the cake store! icon_lol.gif

Auntie_RaRa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auntie_RaRa Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 12:57am
post #33 of 52

After seeing the gems and the tip of using silicon muffin cups, I tried again to make some more gems. THANK YOU, THANK YOU for the tip about the mini muffin cups .They worked perfectly. I put about 6 or 7 of those cups together to be able to withstand the heat of the sugar. Easy to pour and super easy to clean!!!

I used a couple of blocks of Isomalt I bought from Kathy Scott last year. Works great, just have to watch the bubbles from forming. My next experiment will be actually making the sugar myself. That should be fun!!

I tried some different molds...Country Kitchen molds, Geraldine r
Randalsome (got those at convention last year) and kathy scott bling kit molds (got these from her ebay store). I spoke with her about her molds and with her schedule she had to shut it down for awhile, but should be up soon.

While I like the multiple cavities from Country Kitchen, I like the deeper cavities that Kathy gem mold offers. What is also weird (and it might be just me being to critical), but I kinda like the flat side of the pieces more because they do look "shinier", the side with the detail looks a little duller or harder to see the detail. I could see them better if I didn't color the sugar.

Now, I have to figure out to price these gems.
LL
LL
LL

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 1:16am
post #34 of 52

So much inspiration on here. First the Dominican cake, and now these beautiful gems. I can't wait to have a break so that I can try these.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 15 Apr 2010 , 8:43pm
post #35 of 52

thank you for those instructions! icon_biggrin.gif

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 12:31am
post #36 of 52

Fantastic!!!

Ria922 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ria922 Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 12:59pm
post #37 of 52

Hi, Those look INCREDIBLE...I just checked the website for the candy gem molds & they said they are not for hard candy. Can you tell me how you did yours
Thank you icon_biggrin.gif

Ivy383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivy383 Posted 16 Apr 2010 , 1:19pm
post #38 of 52

This is great! Thanks!

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 8:56pm
post #39 of 52

Great Info, Thanks.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 8:29pm
post #40 of 52

Hi I have a quick question and excuse my ignorance. You said to use a medicine cup to pour the sugar, but...wouldn't the medicine cup melt with the heat...medicine cups are so little (and thin, right?) how do you hold it without burning your fingers?
Also, could someone post a pic of the silicone muffin cups? are we talking regular silicone muffin cups??
Ok thank you to all!!

Auntie_RaRa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auntie_RaRa Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 9:03pm
post #41 of 52

Hi,

The silicone muffin cups I use look similar to these. These were the first that popped up when I did a quick search. They come in different sizes as well. I tend to put 4, 5, or 6 stacked together when working with isomalt.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=13779260

Ednarooni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ednarooni Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 9:04pm
post #42 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeInfatuation

You are welcome. I've got it all posted on my blog now as well.

http://www.StaceysSweetShop.blogspot.com

And if that doesn't work.. Search for StaceysSweetShop

I just loved the cakes on here..especially the one on the home page with the beautiful side molding.. Just gorgeous!!

Dayyi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayyi Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 9:39pm
post #43 of 52

Awesome information I bought isomalt a couple of weeks ago and I've been a bit intimedated to make the gems. Might take a stab at it this week!

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 24 Oct 2010 , 10:07pm
post #44 of 52

These are so incredible! You did a fabulous job! I looked at your photos, and immediately went and ordered the molds. Thank you SO MUCH for sharing this!

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 10:26pm
post #45 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie_RaRa

Hi,

The silicone muffin cups I use look similar to these. These were the first that popped up when I did a quick search. They come in different sizes as well. I tend to put 4, 5, or 6 stacked together when working with .

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=13779260

Thank you Auntie_RaRa!!

Linda16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linda16 Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 1:28am
post #46 of 52

I just made my first gem with a 2 piece silcone mold. It makes one large (1.5 inch) diamond in 2 halves that you put together. My isomalt is clear as can be where it does not touch the mold all the way through, but on the surfaces that touches the mold, it is dull and not clear. So of course the gem does not look shiny.

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong or what the problem is? Thanks. Linda

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 10:05am
post #47 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettoothmom1

great job! i made some 2 wks ago for the 1st time too, but it was so humid in orlando that they started to get sticky and they weren't clear anymore when i checked the next day. i wonder if it was just because of the humidity

Mine did the same thing. Were great... for about an hour.. then wet looking and sticky icon_mad.gif ... then opaque icon_evil.gif then white icon_cry.gif

I'm going to have to wait until it warms up, when I can turn on the air conditioner to dry out the air, then pack in airtight containers.

Linda16 Posted 2 Feb 2011 , 1:41pm
post #48 of 52

I don't think this is from humidity. It's only the parts that touched the mold that are "textured". The other side and all the way through the gem are clear.

So it's got to have something to do with the mold I think, but don't know how to fix it. Help!

KeyArtStudioCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeyArtStudioCakes Posted 18 Dec 2011 , 4:45am
post #49 of 52

Linda, I experience the same effect with ANY silicone mold, purchased or produced with silicone putty. The gem is foggy where it touches silicone icon_sad.gif
However, I found a trick that helped:

Pour isomalt into mold and let harden.
Using crème brulee burner (a blow torch), melt face of the gem to release surface bubbles and immediately reinsert back into the mold.
Press lightly and let harden again.
You may also heat gems bottom while in mold to clear from roughness and impurities.
Your gem is now clear and has sharp facets.

The torch melts and clears the surface off of those micro bubbles that form fogginess, and when you press it back into mold it restores melted facets.
Hard to do with real tiny gems, but works great with med-large ones.

If you have a 2 part mold, it is probably better to remelt and press one side at a time.

Linda16 Posted 18 Dec 2011 , 12:55pm
post #50 of 52

Thanks, Larissa. That's a great suggestion about sticking it back in the mold. I did use a butane torch to smooth it out, but you have to be so careful or else you have a gem with no facets on top.

Ashleyssweetdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 18 Dec 2011 , 1:33pm
post #51 of 52

Your blog is awesome! Its def going to become a go to spot for me!

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 19 Dec 2011 , 7:42am
post #52 of 52

I cannot see any pics. How are all of you able to see pics?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%