What Did I Do Wrong, Sugar!!!!!!!!!!

Sugar Work By hails Updated 29 Jan 2010 , 4:29pm by hails

hails Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 6:49pm
post #1 of 12

HI to all hope you are having a super day,
so I don't know what went wrong I followed one
of the recipes here, I was trying to make boiled sugar for some gems.

The recipe said 1/2 cup of sugar and 1/2 cups of light corn syrup.
put in microwave on 50%power for 6 min then full power for 2 min.
I opened the microwave and my lovely sugar was dark brown and was smoking I had to throw it away, please does someone have the correct microwave times

THANK YOU TO ALL That respond you Rock!!!!!

11 replies
kellertur Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 6:56pm
post #2 of 12

It sounds like you scorched the sugar... easy to do.

Try stopping it at 3 min and stirring, carefully. Then another 3 minutes or so...

I hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 6:57pm
post #3 of 12

Well since everyones microwave heats at a different time frame it is difficult to give exact times.You have to literally stand there and watch it untils it starts to bubble.My microwave heats fast and I have siezed many candy melts..I would say every 10 seconds check it...HTH

hails Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 6:58pm
post #4 of 12

Thanks Kellertur I will try that icon_smile.gif

kellertur Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 7:00pm
post #5 of 12

PM me if it doesn't work and I can send you the microwave recipe I use. Good Luck!

hails Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 7:02pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks kiddiecakes icon_smile.gif

hails Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 7:47pm
post #7 of 12

Hi Kellertur,
I tried to pm you but for some reason it just stays in my outbox and has not sent,
I would be so grateful for the microwave recipe you use. Thanks so much

prterrell Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 7:58pm
post #8 of 12

Sorry you're having trouble. I always do mine on the stove using a candy thermometer.

hails Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 12:10am
post #9 of 12

Thanks prterrell,
I have tried a couple of ways in the microwave and it did not work, the first time I scorched it....lol and the second time it was not long enough I guess. If it is not to much of a hassle could u please send me your directions, thank you so much have a great evening.

kellertur Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 4:32am
post #10 of 12

I think the message will stay in your outbox until it's read, then moves to the sent folder. I just read and responded. icon_smile.gif

I try using a thermometer, but it must know I have no patience... I hate standing there. icon_redface.gif When it's good, it's GREAT... but when it's not... icon_cry.gif

prterrell Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 5:43am
post #11 of 12

hails, I use the recipe from Lorann Oils: https://www.lorannoils.com/p-8752-stove-top-hard-candy.aspx only change I make is add a pinch of kosher salt in with the salt.

hails Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 4:29pm
post #12 of 12

Thank you so much ladies you are so kind and made my day, have a lovely weekend!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%