Good Wood Grain Technique

Decorating By dchockeyguy Updated 3 Mar 2010 , 10:48pm by custard79

dchockeyguy Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 5

I'm looking for a good techinique on making wood grain, like for a box. I know there are impression mats, but I don't really like the way they look, because you loose the depth of color I'd like to get. I recently tried a 4-1 ratio of chocolate fondant to black, but it ever really looked right to me.

any suggestions/tips?

4 replies
MonkeySunshine Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 6:45am
post #2 of 5

I always start with a white or beige fondant or gum paste and hand paint my wood grain with varying shades of brown and golden tones.

Evoir Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 7:02am
post #3 of 5

I start with white or ivory fondant. Then I use a wide paintbrush and an alcohol/liquid food colouring mix to paint on the woodgrain colour. It naturally streaks and has lighter and darker bits. There is a photo in my pics of a wood-grained box shortwave radio I did last month.

Debi2 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 7:04pm
post #4 of 5

I saw someone on tv paint on the color you want your "wood" to be, then use a woodgraining tool you get at the hardware store in the painting dept. They were making a wooden box and it looked great. I think it may have been on food network challenge?

custard79 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 10:48pm
post #5 of 5

I use an oversized rubber stamp and stamp it on the fondant. the one I have is about 3" by 4". Got it at micheals

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%