Good Wood Grain Technique

Decorating By dchockeyguy Updated 3 Mar 2010 , 10:48pm by custard79

dchockeyguy  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 28 Jan 2010 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 5

I'm looking for a good techinique on making wood grain, like for a box. I know there are impression mats, but I don't really like the way they look, because you loose the depth of color I'd like to get. I recently tried a 4-1 ratio of chocolate fondant to black, but it ever really looked right to me.

any suggestions/tips?

4 replies
 MonkeySunshine  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MonkeySunshine Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 6:45am
post #2 of 5

I always start with a white or beige fondant or gum paste and hand paint my wood grain with varying shades of brown and golden tones.

Evoir  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 29 Jan 2010 , 7:02am
post #3 of 5

I start with white or ivory fondant. Then I use a wide paintbrush and an alcohol/liquid food colouring mix to paint on the woodgrain colour. It naturally streaks and has lighter and darker bits. There is a photo in my pics of a wood-grained box shortwave radio I did last month.

Debi2  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 7:04pm
post #4 of 5

I saw someone on tv paint on the color you want your "wood" to be, then use a woodgraining tool you get at the hardware store in the painting dept. They were making a wooden box and it looked great. I think it may have been on food network challenge?

custard79  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
custard79 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 10:48pm
post #5 of 5

I use an oversized rubber stamp and stamp it on the fondant. the one I have is about 3" by 4". Got it at micheals

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%